Alismora

Hey Art Haven, Let's Talk!

Please remember to post your feedback down below so we understand why you chose your answer!  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Are you open to the changes we are suggesting?

So with these changes especially with the Elite membership changing into 'early supporters' does this mean we will still have to pay for this title or because we supported the site before the re-brand it will be a token that is shown on our profiles?

• Like 2

Just now, Ferns said:

So with these changes especially with the Elite membership changing into 'early supporters' does this mean we will still have to pay for this title or because we supported the site before the re-brand it will be a token that is shown on our profiles?

The elite membership won't be changing.  Those who are Elite within this time frame will be given a custom title that will display below your username.  This title will remain regardless of whether or not you choose to remain Elite in the future.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I've been around since the older website was a thing, I remember learning about GASR from IMVU friends, I was skeptical at first, not going to lie; but this is such a beautiful community, I'd love for smaller shops to get out there, but it's hard for them too due to the stigma. Gonna be hard to get used to the newer brand since I lived from GASR. But, I'm excited to see where this is going.

• Like 4

I’m so down! I’ve always wanted to branch my art out to go beyond portraits or bust up, since Gasr is the only Art platform I have but I’ve always felt limited because of the imvu dp crop. 

I’m so excited for the future of our community and to see the upcoming name and url change! Especially the mature content system.

one question, this is my last month as elite, Will i still count as an early supporter within the current timeframe even though this is my last month? Or will I need to buy a subscription again by the currently sale?

Edited by Smile
  • Like 5

Not really a question, but more of a comment, 

I think this change is a smart one, ive been supporting for a long time and cant wait to see the forum grow going forward. 

@Alismora & your team have done a good job building, upkeeping and upgrading the forum & keeping it a safe enviornment for artists and customers :D 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Trash said:

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll truly disconnect from IMVU, because of screenies and the type of art that follows it. But I think thats OK and hope that art still thrives in the future!

Yeah we 100% agree, we don't want people who draw DPs or edit screenshots to feel excluded by the change, but we want to make sure those on the outside who do full pieces, concept art, 3D art, etc. to know that they are welcome here too and the best way to do that is to make the website more accommodating for everyone, not just a certain niche!

20 minutes ago, Smile said:

Will i still count as an early supporter within the current timeframe even though this is my last month? Or will I need to buy a subscription again by the currently sale

We don't really have a cut-off set in stone right now, but I think a safe bet is as long as you're Elite within the month of October, you're eligible. 

18 minutes ago, Ash said:

@Alismora & your team have done a good job building, upkeeping and upgrading the forum & keeping it a safe enviornment for artists and customers :D 

Thank You GIF by 368

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Trash said:

I've been on GASR for a long time, maybe not as long as some, but I've had my fair share. Whether or not it was being active or lurking in the shadows, I always enjoyed my time here.

Now this comes as sort of a personal experience, but for me, staying on GASR felt like I was being held back. More or less in the way of drawing only display pictures. Whenever I think of GASR I think of exclusively DP's and 160x220 paintings. Maybe this is because I've never really connected with the larger community, but it just felt like offering larger art was more or less...a waste of time? So I hope this change brings bigger art diversity? (not saying we don't have that already, I love what the gallery does for us artists, and I love using it) 

Getting back on topic here, I truly 100% support this change. I feel like what we need is more diversity in the art, with seeing more art progression. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll truly disconnect from IMVU, because of screenies and the type of art that follows it. But I think thats OK and hope that art still thrives in the future! I dont really know where I was going with this I feel like I had a point but now its gone lol. All in all, I'm looking forward to the journey that this change takes us.

I really do 100% agree with this. I felt this on a whole other level myself. Diversity is where artists thrive and an art community lacking in such is bound to go in a downwards spiral. We can't thrive without being creative, it defeats the whole purpose of being an artist. I have seen artists come in here and be like "oh so we can only sell 160x220 art..?" "what" "who" "why", and they switch away from doing these amazing big concept arts/illustrations and it is so regrettable.

It's time to really move the fuck on and away from IMVU. I hope that what you say about us never truly being disconnected from IMVU isn't a sort of prophecy, because damn. I hope that doesn't come to pass. It would be brilliant if we would be able to come up with some stuff to push forward artists from all walks of life.

• Like 7

This is really promising and I'm very excited to see how this will play out! I'm all for it. :applause:

my feedback is not very detailed, I'm incredibly exhausted but wanted to put those good vibes out there. Woo-hoo. :bfcry:

edit: OKAY on the topic of 160x220 art holy SHIT. I used to draw on big ol' canvases and saw myself steadily improving through that but now that I've pretty much *only* been doing DP sized drawings for well over a year now, I've grown really attached to them and feel like I've been at a standstill in improvement. Maybe not a complete halt but I've definitely been held back quite a bit. This is mostly my own fault for not forcing myself to branch out but it does feel like the community really pulls that out.  I hope this change will definitely help push larger art back out there. 

Edited by Vee
  • Like 7

I'm so glad that many of you seem to be on board with this idea!

We've been talking about this on and off for about a year and it's just so exciting to finally see what the community actually thinks about this.  If we're still keeping an IMVU-based name I feel we all will never really move away from the DP crops that many artists from other platforms have never even heard of before. As mentioned by others, obviously we'll never fully be able to step away from IMVU since that makes up a big part of the community, but this is definitely a step forward for us all. 

:phearteyes:

• Like 7

I'm so thrilled to hear about this change, it feels like it's way overdue. Whenever I told people about GASR it felt complicated, as I always had to mention IMVU and etc.. Everyone would always end up a bit discouraged or confused after I'd explained it. Hopefully I'll be able to introduce the website to my friends again when the rebrand is complete! :walove: Thanks for the hard work you all do to make sure our community stays updated, secure and a fun place to interact! 

• Like 6

The re-brand for GASR, is such wonderful news to hear. And something that I wholeheartedly agree with. As a community GASR has come so far and continues to provide artists of all fields an outlet to express themselves creatively and with the art they make.  I really am thankful for the dedication and commitment you all provide, to not only improve GASR day by day but continue to expand upon inclusion and diversity. And as it continues to grow, I will without a doubt continue to support. 

• Like 4

Yes, this is amazing. We need more people interacting, sharing all kinds of art. It would be nice to see platform turning devianart style. :cutethumbsup:

• Like 3

It sounds like a very sweet idea to do that, but with all the types of people joining the numbers of theft will increase as well. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Just playing Devil's Advocate here.

While I think this is great, and would love to see all kinds of artists welcomed, GASR has built itself on top of buyers looking to show off their purchases on IMVU. That was the buyer base. From what I read, it seems like the change is to accommodate artists who don't necessarily want to cater to that buyer base and the "restrictions" it comes with. Which again, I don't think it's a bad thing. I don't have any stats so I can't tell you what kind of buyer base exists now, in majority, on this platform. But if alot of the buyer base is still IMVU users looking for art that translates to IMVU, how beneficial is this really? I do understand artists want to branch out or join in if they're not from IMVU and they should be given every opportunity to do so, but in reality, what's really selling here?

Either way, it's a great change. And I can see why disassociating with IMVU is a goal. But that can be tricky, especially depending on what people are really looking for. One thing is to support artist's decision to choose but it's another to support the decision and make it successful by having those same supporters actually buy. The post seems really geared toward one-side of a two-way relationship. This is a community, but it's also a place of commerce and commerce doesn't succeed by only catering to one side of it.

[Note I'm focusing on buying aspect, of course there is other benefits like sharing skills etc.]

Edited by Anarchy
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Anarchy said:

Just playing Devil's Advocate here.

While I think this is great, and would love to see all kinds of artists welcomed, GASR has built itself on top of buyers looking to show off their purchases on IMVU. That was the buyer base. From what I read, it seems like the change is to accommodate artists who don't necessarily want to cater to that buyer base and the "restrictions" it comes with. Which again, I don't think it's a bad thing. I don't have any stats so I can't tell you what kind of buyer base exists now, in majority, on this platform. But if alot of the buyer base is still IMVU users looking for art that translates to IMVU, how beneficial is this really? I do understand artists want to branch out or join in if they're not from IMVU and they should be given every opportunity to do so, but in reality, what's really selling here?

Either way, it's a great change. And I can see why disassociating with IMVU is a goal. But that can be tricky, especially depending on what people are really looking for. One thing is to support artist's decision to choose but it's another to support the decision and make it successful by having those same supporters actually buy. The post seems really geared toward one-side of a two-way relationship. This is a community, but it's also a place of commerce and commerce doesn't succeed by only catering to one side of it.

[Note I'm focusing on buying aspect, of course there is other benefits like sharing skills etc.]

To me, even people who are looking for IMVU art could still benefit from this change. Obviously DP's will still be sold here, but this change will hopefully encourage artists to offer more then just DP art or artists to come in that have more to offer. If you buy a larger piece of art you can still crop it to be a DP to use on IMVU, but you also now have a larger art example of something that you like. This to me is super beneficial for things such as OC's which many people use, people from IMVU included. It's a major trend to use your own OC in a DP and I feel many people do enjoy having larger art done of them. We're not trying to shove the IMVU buyers out of the community, it's more like opening people's eyes to see they have more options to buy then just a small 160 x 220 DP

:bgoodjob:

• Like 5

@Anarchy  I agree with Lineara. We have taken all of that into consideration and this change is definitely more than just wanting to grow the player base.  

We aren’t trying to get rid of IMVU artists or the 160x220 canvas size, we’re working towards making that optional as opposed to pretty much feeling like it’s a requirement to sign up here. I know there are still a lot of IMVU users here, but there are also a lot of character and concept artists that are from Twitch, Instagram, Twitter, DA, etc who love this community. However, they feel like they aren’t given the same opportunity as those who draw IMVU art because everyone is accustomed to it, or conforms to it without really understanding why. They in turn feel like they can’t make a profit here and try to brave the bigger platforms when there is substantial buying opportunity here for them if we can help even the playing field.

Now don’t get me wrong, we do have artists who do not conform to solely small canvas art and they have done well for themselves, and we’ve used that data to determine if the interest was there. 

Changing our name would be beneficial regardless of if the other items were attached.  It been long overdue and something that has been brought up off and on.  I’m hoping the same can be said with the updated marketplace since I do understand change can be difficult and this is more than just changing some text at the top of the website. It needs to happen though, even if our reasoning was different. The community will stay stagnant unless we try and stay competitive against the plethora of other art platforms out there that making buying and selling as easy as clicking a button, and the fact that we’ve chugged along this far still using a forum system is pretty much a miracle in today’s standards. 

We have to adapt or be left behind, and I don’t think creating a better way to sell art, even IMVU art, is a bad place to start.  Your observation is great though and the concern is completely valid. 

• Like 6

I am totally up for this change,  whenever I tell about this website to friends they can never understand the name and what it stands for, and I literally have to explain from where this community started and how it evolved into a independent platform for all kinds of art. I think that a re-branding is natural and it will attract more people that aren't necessarily imvu related.

I have been here for a damn long time, and I always study the market and buyers and what they are interested in. As artists we always have to find a balance between what we create and what people want to see from us.  The 160/220 is a pain in the ass, everyone is forgetting about the 200kb limit (which if you create more complex animations is a no no). If a customer wants to use a piece of artwork on imvu I don't see the problem of it being resized, cropped. I myself use sizes (300/413,  500/689)  that can automatically be resized to 160/220, because I could never draw that tiny.

I have noticed that bigger pieces don't have the same desire from the customer base, I'm always scared to even try bigger pieces because of that. I think a solution for this would be for us to find ways to make more use of the artwork than just a imvu display pic for the buyers. Big art could be used for prints, wallpapers, banners, tattoo illustrations, a pillow case idk. Honestly if someone told me they would want to print a blanket with something I drew I'd be totally down with creating that.

• Like 6