Art Haven
Alismora

Hey Art Haven, Let's Talk!

Please remember to post your feedback down below so we understand why you chose your answer!  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Are you open to the changes we are suggesting?

As long as I can still buy art I'm okay with this,🖤 

• Like 2

I feel that with the changes there could be a section specifically for IMVU related art (ie; badges, display pictures, layouts, etc.) and then another section specifically for different types of art commissions. Maybe they could be categorized by the kind of art? I know a lot of artists do several different styles, but it may be easier for buyers, such as myself, to look for a specific artist fitting to their art desires. I have only bought display picture art myself, however, some artists have offered different crops and sizes before (such as facebook banners, etc.) and I always appreciate that, so hopefully this new change will allow for bigger and better art to come about from all artists here. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Barbie said:

It sounds like a very sweet idea to do that, but with all the types of people joining the numbers of theft will increase as well. 

There's no way to avoid this no matter what we do. There will always be art theft because of misinformation and pure ignorance, so the best we can do is continue to try and educate those we come across.  I know it may not seem like it because those who are guilty are usually the loudest, but most people who are warned for art theft related situations are in the silent majority, and they try to learn more about copyright and don't repeat the mistake.  You have to remember that not everyone makes these mistakes out of malice.

4 hours ago, Precedence said:

I feel that with the changes there could be a section specifically for IMVU related art (ie; badges, display pictures, layouts, etc.) and then another section specifically for different types of art commissions. Maybe they could be categorized by the kind of art? I know a lot of artists do several different styles, but it may be easier for buyers, such as myself, to look for a specific artist fitting to their art desires. I have only bought display picture art myself, however, some artists have offered different crops and sizes before (such as facebook banners, etc.) and I always appreciate that, so hopefully this new change will allow for bigger and better art to come about from all artists here. 

Thank you for the suggestion!  We've tried this before in the past and it didn't really work out the way we had anticipated.  It segregated artists and buyers from each other to the point that some sections never received traffic.  I think creating a special section for IMVU based art would be contradicting to what we're trying to do here, which is making the website more accommodating and fair for everyone and not giving a specific niche special treatment.

However I do agree that sometimes it is hard to find an artist that can create something specific, and this brings me back to why I think a dedicated marketplace for buying and selling art outside of the forum sections would benefit us in several ways.  One being an easy way to look through categories of art and narrow it down almost to the specific style (Semi-realism, pixel, etc.), but also having them all listed regardless of type when no category is selected for those who just want to dive in and see what there is to offer with no restrictions.  No having to push anyone in the corner this way and everyone is in the same place.  :)

• Like 3

hi chiming in again because I dont think I expressed this earlier. 

I am looking forward to this change so that as someone who has been getting artwork of my partner and I done with the intent of going to Walmart for example and having prints done to decorate our home with, This change will make it so much easier on me as I dont know how to navigate sites like deviant art and with these changes hopefully I'll have more of a higher success rate when I ask for a text-less version so I can have those prints made, Anytime I have wanted a text-less version it was to use it to decorate my home with and nothing more because some artists scare me and I know there are a few who would have no issues taking someone to court if they were caught reselling their artwork. I've also fallen into the habit of asking for printing permission because sometimes stores like Walmart wont let you make prints if you dont have proof that you are allowed to, but my biggest challenge as of right now is finding artists who will actually allow me to have a text-less version so that I can get prints done. It feels like because most of the focus is on Dp's that asking for a text-less version of art is a taboo and frowned upon... like no I'm just an idiot and can't figure out how to navigate other art sites and I wont resell it, it's going in my house so if I so feel like it I can just stand and stare at it in physical form instead of having to get on my laptop/PC/phone to look at it.

So I for one am extremely excited for the shift because then I wont feel like I'm being silently judged for asking for a text-less version :bfhaa:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ferns said:

It feels like because most of the focus is on Dp's that asking for a text-less version of art is a taboo and frowned upon.

Yeah, I feel like this is very IMVU-esque behavior.  Artists should always be vigilante in protecting their works, but refusing textless always seemed too restrictive for something someone is paying to own.  It's like paying for a stock photo with the watermark still on it?  I hope bringing in more artists from other platforms will help realize this isn't normal behavior.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

@Lineara 
There are trends and things that definitely adhere to more than just the 160x220 art pieces. However, a trend by definition is something that doesn't last. However the need for IMVU specific art, has survived. It survived IMVU's crappy way of allowing it to exist, it survived IMVU basically getting rid of it, it survived moving from IMVU's forum to a new one, aka this one....so...I'm thinking it'll survive this change as well. I can't say the same about everything else.

@Alismora

Alot like what Tao said, I've also noticed larger art doesn't sell as well. 

Another thing to consider the kind of funds the forum's buyer base is working with. Naturally, larger art will always cost more than whatever DP sized art is being offered by an artist. Of course there are exceptions, but if some of the forum's most popular artists are selling $80 DPs, will followers be able to afford $120+ pieces that don't translate to IMVU? Not everyone just wants art that is just for IMVU, but I'm talking about the majority.

I've bought larger art intended to be transferable, yet the piece as a whole just couldn't be cropped in a way that captured the entire piece and I've been unable to use it. It's beautiful, but I spent $100+. And then if I wanted prints or have the art on fabric, that's more money I have to spend. How many users can afford that or want to do that?

And to reiterate, I'm not against this change. But I think it's good to know what the majority of people here want, because if you want to dissociate from IMVU and do more where IMVU related art/profucts are just a fraction of what the forum is about....yet the majority of your base IS from IMVU....makes for a strange place to be.

• Like 1

Completely agree. You either make DP art in the IMVU style or you wont be very successful here. It's limiting for sure.

It would be amazing to welcome a wider audience looking for a variety of art.

Sad about the name change though.

I understand what you’re saying, but I think that logic would be more appropriate if we were getting rid of the ability to make dp-sized art, which we aren’t.  I want to make this explicitly clear because now some members are worried that we are. 

As stated before, these are all things we have thought about. We’ve taken the time to learn the community inside and out, half of us are very active and sell our own services here.  We’ve had others analyze our community from a non-bias perspective as well, because they’re able to point out any flaws or niche behavior that we may not have recognized ourselves due to being conditioned to them for so long. 

We have the data we need that backs up our decision. People want bigger art and they have the money to spend on it. This is based on numerous factors that trickle all the way down to individual artist’s support bases. I can’t sit here and compare pricing because it’s extremely variable. Someone who spends $80 on a DP might not want to spend $120 for a larger canvas is a viable scenario, but it’s not the only one. That same person may have found an artist that charges $80 for a larger canvas which influenced their decision. As new artists and new buyers with a non-IMVU bias join, the market grows and becomes more competitive for the current artists and buyers voicing their want/need of bigger and better art.

Not to feel like I’m repeating myself, but the end goal here is for a better marketplace for everyone. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

So here's my two cents again:

1.I think that this change will mostly create a "neutral" environment for art, what I mean is that the website/community will not "depend" on the old imvu , but it will actually promote any kind of art/design. 

2.I have to agree that majority of the buyers here are still imvu users, but that doesn't define any artists work and you can still cater to many types of clientele by simply doing you (finding ways around it). Also imvu doesn't define a customer, so you can't actually know what everyone wants at the end of the day. Some people may want a dp, some may snatch anything that's visually appealing to them.  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Tao said:

Also imvu doesn't define a customer, so you can't actually know what everyone wants at the end of the day. Some people may want a dp, some may snatch anything that's visually appealing to them.  

!!! So much this.  There are so many buyers here that would throw their money at the right artist given the content.  We had a discussion about the possibility of prints being available in the future.(And I mean in the future future.  ArtStation only now started allowing artists to sell prints and they've been around for a while and have a LOT more resources than we do.)  Everyone who responded to that discussion were highly interested in it and also suggested some ways we could go about it, including materials and how much they'd be willing to pay for a great quality print.

The want and need for more is definitely there, we just need to work on making it a possible opportunity.

One day we will all walk away from IMVU as we grow as people so our need/want for dp sized art will diminish, with this change we will still be able to order artwork to use as a computer background or a phone background or hell get prints done to decorate our homes with should we no longer be playing imvu those of us who have a strong love for artwork and enjoy supporting artists and their talent wont feel like we can no longer order art on this site as the majority of artist work on a 160x220 sized canvas we will instead be encouraged to continue buying art and watching the wild thoughts in our minds have life breathed into them creating them in a psychical realm and not be restricted to one canvas size. 

Of course the demand of dp sized art will most likely continue until IMVU finally shuts down and that size of artwork will still be readily available to those who search for it but it will no longer be the only focus of the site, this change will help the site grow instead of the site growing stagnant, This change will be beneficial to all not just some.

Edited by Ferns
  • Upvote 1

It's refreshing and a better step to rebrand and move in this direction for GASR.

Imvu who? :sketch:

• Like 4

I'll try to adjust to the new changes just hoping the changes will gradually happen with notifications in between, so I won't have a hard time focusing. ^^

I have been hoping to make large art and slowly get away from 160x220 frames, the canvas size i've been so used to for almost 6 -7 years. 😅 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KataraKnight said:

I'll try to adjust to the new changes just hoping the changes will gradually happen with notifications in between, so I won't have a hard time focusing. ^^

I have been hoping to make large art and slowly get away from 160x220 frames, the canvas size i've been so used to for almost 6 -7 years. 😅 

We aren’t making all the changes at once.  The first change was changing “GASR/Graphic Arts Services & Requests” to “AH/Art Haven”.

That’s all for now!  The next update is the mature content system planned to be ready to go hopefully by Halloween, which everyone has been aware of since June/July.  

Baby steps. :idancefroggu:

An official announcement about the name change will be sent out on a global scale here soon to let everyone know of the changes. 

• Like 2

I'm excited for the changes. I think it will open up our community even more. I've been around since the old Gasr and ALWAYS recommend this site for art and trustworthy great people. I do agree that its hard for smaller shops to get out there and kinda feels like there's really no point if you don't do 160 x 220  art but I think the changes can open up everything more where the artists that do that can still be live and strong but others as well. I cant wait to see how everything works out and see the community grow.

• Like 1

GASR who? dunno her sounds like a site selling car parts 4 cheap 

Edited by Cain
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I enjoy the name Art Haven and all the changes coming. This will help artists of all types branch out into larger art and new styles! I also believe the new name will pique the interest of many new members. As someone who works on IMVU repaints I even find the 160x220 restricting and try to increase canvas size.

Also, at first when it was directing me to the new URL my anti-virus really didn't want me to come due to security issues lol. I figure its nothing serious, but thought to mention some members might run into this issue at first :pshocked:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Xunjo said:

I enjoy the name Art Haven and all the changes coming. This will help artists of all types branch out into larger art and new styles! I also believe the new name will pique the interest of many new members. As someone who works on IMVU repaints I even find the 160x220 restricting and try to increase canvas size.

Also, at first when it was directing me to the new URL my anti-virus really didn't want me to come due to security issues lol. I figure its nothing serious, but thought to mention some members might run into this issue at first :pshocked:

Yeah!  When the domain changes, we have to order a new cert for it and it normally takes just a couple minutes for most, but up to half an hour-ish for the few it doesn't.  If anyone is having issues, please let them know to do the usual clearing of their browser cache!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Alismora said:

:istop:

cant stop wont stop

+ the cert works for me :fingerguns:
image.png.e06916b03e2e63f6930360ee722f0b81.png

• Like 2