SPECIAL SALE: Say hello to the spring season with 30% off everything in the Art Haven store, including Elite memberships! Use code SPRINGTIME at checkout. ×
Art Haven
SPECIAL SALE: Say hello to the spring season with 30% off everything in the Art Haven store, including Elite memberships! Use code SPRINGTIME at checkout.

ArtistJourney-AnimatedBanner-left.gifArtistJourney-AnimatedBanner-Center.gifArtistJourney-AnimatedBanner-right.gif
column-left-1.pngcolumn-left-2.png

INFO.png

d4mi7q0-11dad90a-0efd-40da-8f9e-c0d4f751

The Draw This Again challenge was created in 2011 by reinhold-hoffmann on DeviantART. The user created a meme format that has two blank boxes, prompting you to take an old piece of work from any year in the past and recreating it to show how much you've improved! The challenge allows you to compare a much older piece to your now latest piece, sitting them side by side and giving you the perfect setting to truly see your improvement.

Since New Year's just passed, we want to give artists of all mediums this very opportunity. We want to see how far you all have come, and to further celebrate the New Year, we would like to hear 2 or more things you want to continue to improve in your work! As we previously mentioned, you don't have to be a digital artist or draw at all to participate in this event, we want to give everyone the opportunity to join in! Whether it's digital artwork, traditional, 3D or even handmade crafts, we encourage you to jump in and tag along! 

This event was inspired/suggested by one of our fellow Haveners, @Taylor ! With it now being 2020, we wanted to add a little New Year twist to it! Remember to check out our Contest/Event Suggestions topic and give us your thoughts on any future events you'd like to see. We're listening! 

Please be sure to read over the rules and information in full before participating! If you have any questions regarding the event feel free to ask here or PM an Event Coordinator! 

RULES.png

» Everyone can participate!

» Your entry can be any medium, so long as it is over a year old. (2018 and older!)

» This is open submission, so post your improvements for all to see in this topic!

» Credit any sources you use and/or reference.

» Remember to put time into your entry! This is a time to reflect on how much you've improved!

» You can create your own format or use one of the ArtHaven Draw This Again templates we've made for you! 

» Please include two or more things you would like to improve on regarding your work within your post! 

» You can take it further and post multiple old works to show your journey!

» Be sure to post what year your "then"/older piece was made, on the template or in your post is fine!

colum-right-1.pngcolum-right-2.png
bottom-banner-left.pngbottom-banner-center.pngbottom-banner-right.png

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

top-left.pngtop-center.pngtop-right.png
column-left-1.pngcolumn-left-2.png

INSTRUCTIONS.png

Using your own formatting or the one we've provided, recreate one of your older pieces! Your old work must be present, along with your new. After you've finished that, post it here in this topic and share at least two things you're looking to improve on in the New Year! 

Spoiler

ArtistJourney-TemplateDP.png.ac95ad6046e

Spoiler

ArtistJourney-Template1.png.d757c8e22bfd

DATES.png

January 3rd - January 17th

PRIZES.png

All qualifying participants will receive the following badge:    Artists-Journey-Badge1.gif.5d8088ba4c70d

All qualifying participants will be placed in the randomizer to win the following:

» $20 via paypal (an alternative will be provided if you don't have paypal)

» 3 months Elite

» 1 week ad space 

» 1 donated art of your choosing

colum-right-1.pngcolum-right-2.png
bottom-banner-left.pngbottom-banner-center.pngbottom-banner-right.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

First event of the year has officially started!

Regardless of the medium, we encourage you all to share your art journey for all to see how beautifully you've blossomed over the years! :phearteyes:

Happy New Year! 

flowers.gif

• Like 5

Happy new year!

this event sounds fun ^_^

ill see if i will have time to do this one >:))

• Like 2
  • Wink 2

Ahhh Happy new year!! I'll try to join for this one <3 (I've been wanting to do a redraw of my very first digital drawing XD)

• Like 3

Spoiler

ArtistJourney-DP2.thumb.png.27814b2d5675b7bb785f91cbaed280f8.png

ArtistJourney-DP1.thumb.png.ccc502afc9f7c3c2d29bd8659e7f9517.png

As for what I want to improve on this year is creating more animations (maybe, lol), I'm more into strictly drawing than animating. Improving on skin, shading, and more various poses. Try to get to drawing more muscular men! That will probably not happen, lol. Most of all, take a dive into making chibis and/or making more full bodies. But this one takes the cake...

OPEN MY CUSTOM SHOP.:noooo: (Summer 2020)

Edited by Weebus
ADDED. WOOO.
  • Like 4

uuuh i wanna try! :phearteyes:

In this year i want to learn how to do animation, improve the hair and expression and i make me more confident with the sketch art

ArtistJourney-DP-Template.thumb.png.a6bf430f852b521201806e313bc8b74a.png

Edited by ExDies
Added the image!
  • Like 5

oooo! Gonna try to do!

• Like 3

YAYYY
I can say now that I'm proud of myself because I was able to finish this and like the end result
which is a big deal to me. I'm very grateful for the push this environment gave me.
 :phearteyes:

TWO THINGS TO IMPROVE: 
I would love to learn how to draw hands properly and I also need to improve on clothes and folds.
of course a lot more I have a lot to improve but for now those are my difficulties. I'm gonna try to study more <3
To create this I watched a few Neko Rina's tutorial on youtube.

ArtistJourney-LargeCanvas-Template01.thumb.jpg.08cf343fc0bbf7acdb58f1fce456ff12.jpg

Full 2020 Version:

DOSURA2020-v01.png.5af4295172a7fc754570b6cf216a67ab.png

Edited by Calis
  • Like 11

I literally just did one of these :>
Probably do another though :ogoodshi:

• Like 5

I can't wait to see the progress you've all made! :applause:

Might just jump in myself.  :cutefingergun:

EDIT:

This particular drawing was made March 8th, 2017. I was 16 at the time, and I'm now about to be 20! It feels like yesterday, lmfao.

Anywho, two things I'd love to improve on this year and would like to work toward are:

1. Working on larger canvases! I've forced myself into a pattern of strictly drawing on 160x220's and I'd like to get back into the habit of making larger pieces. I improved rapidly when I did and slowed my progress down a LOT. 

2. same pose syndrome lol..i'm already working on both of these things but i have a tendency to draw the same static pose and I'd really like to push out of that! also want to work on more background/environmental pieces. :-) 

ARTISTJOURNEYENTRY.png

Here are the full versions for those who may be curious!: 

Spoiler

redraw1.pngcatgirl_by_omphi_db1nbtt-fullview.jpg

• Like 8

I'm down to try this out so I can give myself some credit instead of beating myself down!

• Like 3

Can't wait to see all of your guys enteries and marvel at the progress! :byaslove: I'll most surely follow Vee's example and jump in soon, myself! 

Thank you, Chelly! :lazerose:

• Like 2