• Join Art Haven

Hey there, it looks like you're browsing Art Haven as a guest. If you're enjoying the content our members are creating, please consider signing up for an account to unlock full access to all of our features.  It's quick, easy, completely free, and you'll be supporting the growth of our community and its creators!

We can't wait to meet you.

:pblushing:

Discussion: Reselling/Trading Art

System Notice

just keep in mind that it's very stressful to be a seller sometimes, and to think we are missing out on sales because of rules we follow to protect ourselves can be very disheartening to hear as it's already hard enough to maintain a reputation while attempting to make everyone happy AND keep yourself safe.

i think everything else has been said, but just a reminder that we are human and we are trying our bests, and usually rules that may seem selfish, childish, pointless, etc are because we've been screwed over multiple times and now it's the only option. 

:psobbing:

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not bothered at all with people reselling my art.

I put effort and love into my work and if someone buys it only to later get a little tired of it I would love it if someone else could use it and enjoy it.

If we compare it to physical paintings, I'd much rather see my painting be displayed in a new owners house than an old owners basement.

I also have an opinion that if you paid for my art - you own it. It's yours now. You can give it to a friend, you can sell it, whatever.

You pay monthly for Netflix or Disney+, you’re only paying for the right to watch the movies and shows.  You purchase BTS’ latest album on iTunes, you’re paying for the right to listen to the songs. Some contracts grant you different permissions, but you never own the content, someone else does.

I think of my art in a similar way.

Instead of iTunes, let's think of a BTS' album on a CD. You don't own the music but you own the CD.

You have a right to give that CD to a friend or to sell it but you don't have a right to what is on the CD itself.

By letting you resell my art I'm not letting you trace my art or edit my art in any way.

All you can do is pass it to someone else.

At the end of the day, this is just my opinion.

Any artist has a right to make up their own rules when it comes to their art.

Edited by Koi

2 hours ago, Alismora said:

Within the legality of the law, of course.  If you give your buyer the copyright, you no longer have the right to make up your own rules for the piece they own. 

Again though, there is nothing wrong with this opinion... as long as it stays an opinion and isn't pushed as a fact that excuses the mistreatment of artists, or suppresses the rights artists have to tell a buyer no, they can't resell or trade their art.

But I'm not giving the buyer the copyright.

It's much easier to think of this in physical form but it work's both ways, really.

Let's say I sold a print of my work. By selling it to someone I'm not giving them the copyright of it but they are allowed to sell that print secondhand.

You own the physical (or digital) version of it but you do not own what is on it.

I still have the copyright of my art regardless and I can make rules for it.

In my shop I have a rule that you should not sell my art for more than you bought it for and I'm allowed to have that as a rule because it's my art.

I agree that this opinion shouldn't be pushed on all artists. You created your art, you can do with it as you please.

Edited by Koi

17 minutes ago, Alismora said:

I think you're confused about my reply.  I didn't say you were, that was clarification for others who may read that and think they can take back their copyright after giving it away re: artists can make up their own rules.  It's true, with limitations.  You're repeating the same examples I've used which I agree with.

Oh right, my bad. I misunderstood you.

I thought you were implying that by letting people resell my art I'm giving them the copyright of it,

which is not the case.

:klmao: