Art Haven

(IMPORTANT) Off-Site Grievances & Discord Links

Yeah yall are doing a great job, and as soon issues occurs do you always handle the problems very fast and good which i really appreciate, Thanks alot for keeping the community safe for us!!! :blove:

Edited by Drexiy
  • Like 6

On one hand, I am a fan of discord shops as it makes it easier to follow the artists who I am a loyal customer of. On the other, man as a buyer its still a scary thing! 

As you guys said there is so little that can be done when brought off AH. There is no monitoring going on and its easy to manipulate discords in someone's advantage. Being a victim of purchasing from "artists" on Discord, who ended up being called out for theft/tracing or more, is an awful feeling.

I am glad you guys are making this a PSA. Gives people more knowledge and at least makes it a safer experience for all if they at least know the risks! :fingerguns: I wish I was educated on the risks myself before investing in Discord shops. 

Edited by Keeks

adjust
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1
15 hours ago, Keeks said:

I am glad you guys are making this a PSA. Gives people more knowledge and at least makes it a safer experience for all if they at least know the risks!

I wish we could do more, but unfortunately we have zero control on Discord.  That, coupled with the fact that Discord does not provide any protections to its members get scammed, is why so many people seek our assistance when they have nowhere else to turn.  These people who create shops here, but end up telling people to go to Discord for updates and art delivery/payment think they're clever and that we don't see what they're doing.  These same people are often the ones who are caught selling hundreds or thousands of dollars in illegitimate artwork and act like a deer in headlights because they thought they wouldn't get caught.

Our guide, "Scams and How to Avoid Them" is still very relevant, but it will be updated soon to reflect the current market culture.  These will be explained in greater detail in the future, but some quick red flags right now for those who are reading this that could potentially lead to a scam are:

• They refuse to do business anywhere but Discord and force their buyers to use payment methods that do not offer any sort of buyer protection.  (CashApp, Ko-Fi, Venmo, etc.)
  • If they do use PayPal, they ask you to send as "friends and family" and refuse "goods & services" payments, voiding the buyer protection PayPal offers.  (You should never pay anyone as friends and family regardless of what website you use.)
  • Their art prices are significantly raised in a short amount of time with little to no improvement or reasonable explanation.
  • They constantly complain about how "strict" other website's rules are and why they don't want to sell anywhere else.
  • They offer styles that do not match the quality of techniques used and prefer users send them photo references in private.  (i.e. They create semi-realism or hyper-realistic details, but the coloring/shading does not match the same level.)
  • etc.  There's too many red flags for me to list, but these are usually the most obvious.

If someone is exhibiting most or all of these behaviors, I would do a little research on the seller before spending money.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3
1 hour ago, Alismora said:

I wish we could do more, but unfortunately we have zero control on Discord.  That, coupled with the fact that Discord does not provide any protections to its members get scammed, is why so many people seek our assistance when they have nowhere else to turn.  These people who create shops here, but end up telling people to go to Discord for updates and art delivery/payment think they're clever and that we don't see what they're doing.  These same people are often the ones who are caught selling hundreds or thousands of dollars in illegitimate artwork and act like a deer in headlights because they thought they wouldn't get caught.

Our guide, "Scams and How to Avoid Them" is still very relevant, but it will be updated soon to reflect the current market culture.  These will be explained in greater detail in the future, but some quick red flags right now for those who are reading this that could potentially lead to a scam are:

• They refuse to do business anywhere but Discord and force their buyers to use payment methods that do not offer any sort of buyer protection.  (CashApp, Ko-Fi, Venmo, etc.)
  • If they do use PayPal, they ask you to send as "friends and family" and refuse "goods & services" payments, voiding the buyer protection PayPal offers.  (You should never pay anyone as friends and family regardless of what website you use.)
  • Their art prices are significantly raised in a short amount of time with little to no improvement or reasonable explanation.
  • They constantly complain about how "strict" other website's rules are and why they don't want to sell anywhere else.
  • They offer styles that do not match the quality of techniques used and prefer users send them photo references in private.  (i.e. They create semi-realism or hyper-realistic details, but the coloring/shading does not match the same level.)
  • etc.  There's too many red flags for me to list, but these are usually the most obvious.

If someone is exhibiting most or all of these behaviors, I would do a little research on the seller before spending money.

And thats why I am so thankful for the staff! You guys are absolutely killing it and I appreciate all your efforts to keeping us all safe and happy. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Alismora said:

I had few artists not going to say who that wanted to me to send the money as friends and family. Okay I have only do that for artists  that I call friends. And family  and this was over discord. I feel so much better  and safer when I pay here because  if they do that I screen shoot everything  and will send it to the staff. Im sorry my grammar  and spelling Amis bad it 105 at my job and im hot has balls and we have no ac on the 2 floor 😅

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Small update for clarification as some members seem to be confused about this.

Discord links are not allowed within shops or listings.  If you want to sell on Art Haven, you must allow members to place the order, send payment, and contact you on Art Haven.  Asking them to go off-site for order updates, payment confirmations, or order pickup has never been allowed.  This goes for other platforms too, such as Instagram which is also becoming an increasing issue with artists creating shops and asking members to go to their Instagram to contact them or place an order.  I understand you may have seen an artist do this in the past, but we never condoned it.  This goes for everyone.  Even if it is not your shop or listing, you can't post advertisements on their behalf.  Do not get yourself in trouble for someone else.

If you want to sell on Discord, then sell on Discord.  If you want to sell on Instagram, then sell on Instagram.  It is 100% up to you on where you want to sell you art, but you cannot have a shop or a commission listing within the marketplace and use it to advertise your services on another platform.  We are also aware of loopholes members use to get around this rule, such as posting these links under the guise of fake polls and feedback requests that intend to force members off-site.  We vet these links when a report comes in the queue, so there's no point in trying to be deceiving.

I apologize for sounding like a broken record, but it is shocking having this information plastered all over the website and yet this is still one of our most abused guidelines.  No public marketplace allows this regardless of what website you use, and we are no exception.

Lastly, I want to remind everyone that retaliating against a member for following our safety tips or bringing a concern to the staff team is considered at a minimum of harassment.

• Like 1