• Join Art Haven

Hey there, it looks like you're browsing Art Haven as a guest. If you're enjoying the content our members are creating, please consider signing up for an account to unlock full access to all of our features.  It's quick, easy, completely free, and you'll be supporting the growth of our community and its creators!

We can't wait to meet you.

:pblushing:

Let's Talk: Reading!

dreamsymphony

As a lifelong bookworm, I had to make a topic about reading. Let's talk about it!

1. Do you have a specific type of reading material you prefer?
  2. What is a type of reading material you just can't get into?
  3.  What are you currently reading/re-reading?
  4. Favorite author(s)?
  5. Favorite book/other reading material(s)?
  6. Favorite series?
  7. Favorite genre(s)?
  8. What book, series, and/or author would you recommend?

I'll kick things off!

1. I prefer books (including manga, graphic novels, and comics) and webtoons/comics. I also dabble in fanfiction from time to time.
  2. I can't get into imagines, magazines, or the newspaper. E-books are weird for me too.
  3. I'm currently reading Sherlock Holmes and Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident. I also have a long list of LINE Webtoons I'm reading.
  4. In the last couple of years or so, I'd have to say my favorite is Victoria Aveyard. I absolutely love her use of language and the way she immerses the reader in the universe and characters in the Red Queen series. I can relate heavily to her main character. All-time, I'd have to say Lemony Snicket, his style is unseen anywhere else, the depth, the use of humor, and the way his stories aren't all 'happy endings' which is incredibly realistic. I love his use of alliteration in titles too. I can't forget to mention Shel Silverstein either, his poetry and stories are both imaginative and heartwarming.
  5. My all-time favorite book is The Blue Girl, by Charles de Lint. Pride and Prejudice is a close second favorite. My favorite child's book is Corduroy. I find that I always run back to any of Silvertein's works, especially The Giving Tree. On a serious note, Rupi Kaur's, Milk and Honey really hit home for me. 
  6. My favorite series are Red Queen, A Series of Unfortunate Events, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, and the Merry Gentry novels. I also miss my copies of MeruPuri.
  7. My favorite genre when it comes to books is fantasy. I want to be swept away when I read, magic, supernatural elements, or alternative universes are my weakness. For manga and webtoons, I am all for romance or slice-of life, with any other genre (except horror) mixed in. For comics and graphic novels, I love action and adventure type stuff. I also love poetry.
  8.  Due to his unique writing style and use of language, I will always recommend Lemony Snicket's work. I also recommend the Red Queen series by Victoria Aveyard if you're into dystopian universes/situations, and 'milk and honey' by Rupi Kaur. If you're more of a manga/graphic novels/comics person, I recommend Madame Xanadu, Madame Mirage, MeruPuri,  Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, MODEL, and Girl Got Game.

!!!!!!!

Ooooo. I'm here.

I won't answer all the questions because I'm open to reading most things.

1) Webcomics/comics, graphic novels, mangas, books, e-books. I've been reading more manga/webcomics/comics than anything lately. I need to go to Barnes and Noble.

2) Uhh. I've never been a big magazine person either. I'll skim one. Newspapers.

3) I'm currently reading a ton of webcomics on LINE which I will share. aha.

I have a bad habit of reading multiple things at once. I really should just pick one and read it to completion and/or to the latest chapter.

All the WEBTOONS I've read and/or am reading.

My favorites are the two by "omyo." so cute <3

And I'm reading Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko!

One of my fave mangas, though, is Oyasumi Punpun.

(warning: it covers dark themes and is graphic)

shoutout to "oro" for suggesting this manga to me.

The last book I read was the sequel to Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children Hollow City.

I need to get the next book.

And to answer the question "did you see the movie for the first book? what did you think of it???"

Yes I saw the movie. I thought it was okay. I probably would have liked it more if I hadn't read the book, though. aha.

But Lemony Snicket books are ace <33 I grew up reading them. I was going to re-read the books before the Netflix series came out, but I couldn't find them all. </3

Another series I enjoyed reading was The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare. I enjoyed it more than The Mortal Instruments (haven't finished the series - I watched the movie, but I haven't seen the television series yet).

6 hours ago, Kia said:
Spoiler

!!!!!!!

Ooooo. I'm here.

I won't answer all the questions because I'm open to reading most things.

1) Webcomics/comics, graphic novels, mangas, books, e-books. I've been reading more manga/webcomics/comics than anything lately. I need to go to Barnes and Noble.

2) Uhh. I've never been a big magazine person either. I'll skim one. Newspapers.

3) I'm currently reading a ton of webcomics on LINE which I will share. aha.

I have a bad habit of reading multiple things at once. I really should just pick one and read it to completion and/or to the latest chapter.

All the WEBTOONS I've read and/or am reading.

My favorites are the two by "omyo." so cute <3

And I'm reading Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko!

One of my fave mangas, though, is Oyasumi Punpun.

(warning: it covers dark themes and is graphic)

shoutout to "oro" for suggesting this manga to me.

The last book I read was the sequel to Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children Hollow City.

I need to get the next book.

And to answer the question "did you see the movie for the first book? what did you think of it???"

Yes I saw the movie. I thought it was okay. I probably would have liked it more if I hadn't read the book, though. aha.

But Lemony Snicket books are ace <33 I grew up reading them. I was going to re-read the books before the Netflix series came out, but I couldn't find them all. </3

Another series I enjoyed reading was The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare. I enjoyed it more than The Mortal Instruments (haven't finished the series - I watched the movie, but I haven't seen the television series yet).

:haaaaaaaaaaaah: ayyye I'm super thrilled you replied here first! 

I've been into webtoons more than anything else too. I feel bad for neglecting my personal, mini-library. 

Always share webtoons/comics with me :applause:

I'm the same. It also applies to things I watch or play. 

You've given me some things to look into. I've heard of Punpun. I need to read it.

I NEED to read the Miss Peregrine's novels. I did see the movie and it was enjoyable/entertaining.

That applies to most book-to-movie adaptations, tbh.

I watched the ASOUE on Netflix and I can't wait for the next season!! I have the first four books, I'm hunting down the rest. I know amazon sells the set, but it's p expensive. I usually look for books at the secondhand bookshops. 

I have the first Infernal Devices book. A friend sent it to me for Christmas a couple years ago I think, and I haven't read it yet.

I also have the first Mortal Instruments novel, but have only made it a chapter or so into it. (shame on me)

I caught the first episode of the Mortal Instruments and it was so god awful I couldn't make it past the first 29 minutes. It's almost as bad as the Airbender movie adaptation.

Yesss. I had to post before I forgot. that's why the time in those WEBTOONS' screenshots is 3 a.m. LOL.

Oh I will :hee:

do the same for me so I can continue being behind on the things I read

it's sooo good !! I'm going to re-read it. Let me know when you start reading it and I will as well so it'll be like we're reading together. ayyyyy

You haven't read it? I'm surprised. I felt like you would have read all of Miss Peregrine's novels. tsk tsk tsk.

It was!!! Everyone is over here being hyped about the second season of Stranger Things (I haven't even finished the first season) and I'm over here like "so when is A Series of Unfortunate Events returning???" 

I thought I had all the books, but I can't find some of them ;c I also had the file/folder/envelope thing of Beatrice's letters? if you know what I'm talking about. I got most of these Lemony Snicket books at my schools' book sales.

GASP!! whyyyy. no wonder you started this off with shame. why you no read?? ;cccc

I read The Mortal Instruments in high school and saw the movie while in university. I remember getting actually upset over one of the books because of.. something I can't say because it is a spoiler and you haven't gotten that far, lol.

I will probably start reading it again just to complete the series

and weep @ the fact the t.v. series is horrible. I didn't really like the movie so I was hoping they'd do better by the show.. ;c it seems to be getting views since there will be a third season next year

and The Infernal Devices is good! read them all. I know it is really similar to The Mortal Instruments, i.e. foreign girl leaves the country and meets up with supernatural British boys who both like her, but I don't know... I enjoyed this one more, lol.

I'll warn you in advance that I tend to read a lot of books you'd find in the teen section at Barnes and Noble. no shame :applause:

22 hours ago, strawberryparadise said:
  4. Favorite author(s)?
  6. Favorite series?
  7. Favorite genre(s)?

I've read like.. two books in my life but hey, I can get some suggestions. 
1) Usually dystopian, adult type novels, books studying/commenting on religion, compilation of poems (what's the proper word?) psychology revolving around serial killers..
2) Anything in the teen section. -Squints @Kia- Stuff like what John Green writes. Always avoid it. 
3) The Girl In 6E. (About a cam-girl whose locked herself in her apartment to calm her murderous tendencies, but goes against it to save a child.) 
4) .. Haven't read enough to have a favorite, LOL.

5) Racing Hummingbirds. More of a book comprised of short poetry, but.. And Night by Elie Wiesel. 

6) 50 Shades of Grey (I hated those books.) Haven't read any. :blush:

7) Drama, mystery, religion (Is Religion a genre..?), history.

8) I'M HERE FOR UR RECOMMENDATIONS. :byes:

Honestly as of recent I've been reading manga and webtoons.. LOL. THERE'S SO MUCH GOOD MANGA. Most of it is... 18+, but regardless. I've been meaning to read the Game Of Thrones books but 1) Expensive. Like 30$+ for one book, no? And two, I get antsy. Hard for me to read books; always fidgeting around or getting bored. ANYWAYS. I WANT NEW BOOKS. HMU BOYS AND GALS. :bgoodjob:

1. Quote

4. Favorite author(s)?
    6. Favorite series?
    7. Favorite genre(s)?

This is really cool. I love reading and want to go to school for literature!

1. I'm pretty much up for anything. I read tons and tons of manga, but have been getting back into literature pieces.

2. Haven't found one yet!

3. I am currently re-reading The Bell Jar and currently reading Sometimes a Great Notion

4. Sylvia Plath is my favorite author/poet

5. Mangagagaga - such as Vampire Knight, Dengeki Daisy, Akatsuki no Yona, Mars, Six Half, Ten Count, and Takane to Hana

6. I liked reading the Chemical Garden Trilogy.

7. I'm down for any genre 8) im very into the female protagonist type genre.

8. UmmmMmmMm, I recommend everyone read Guts by Chuck Palahniuk only because I'm really nasty and find that story to be graphic so NSFW ADVISED !!!!! but if you are into dark/depressing poems I recommend Sylvia Plath, but maybe that's me being biased because I did school assignments on her and really enjoy her poems.

I really wanna read more and get into more literature and collect more books. I'm slowly getting there. :cry:

pls dont judge me on the guts story lmfaaaao.

On 10/7/2017 at 12:11 AM, eggbebe said:

4. Favorite author(s)?
  6. Favorite series?
  7. Favorite genre(s)?

1. I'm not as picky, it usually depends on my mood. I usually read online/make-up stories. I sometimes have the actual books lol. ( mostly manga, poems, and some other books, that I never touched)

2.boring  historical relation... I mostly HAVE to read those and they would bore me and make me fall asleep! I do summer reading for school sadly lol.

3. I'm not rereading anything right now because there are too many stories I've read all over. if I were to re-read, it'd be " I wrote this for you" by Iain S. Thomas ( poetry)

4. I don't have faves.. but I'd say.. Iain Sa. Thomas (all-time favorite poetic); Gayle Forman ( I've actually met and got an autograph from her); and Rupi Kaur

5. My favorite is "If I stay";" Before_____" ( I forgot the title); I Wrote this for you; Milk & Honey;  Webtoon: untouchable; My giant Nerd Boyfriend;ORange Marmalade; Cheese Trap etc... (too many I've read); I read a lot on wattpad too. I need to start reading conner Franta book that I haven't touched as well LOL.

6.  probably If I stay series and some mangas such as.. vampire knight as of now. 

7. It depends, but mostly romance, drama, comedy, school

8.  for poetry if you were in your feelings and need stress relief I'd recommend, " I wrote this for you" by Iain S. Thomas ( he has 2  or 3  of it and other ones). You can find his name online on Instagram, twitter, Tumblr. his quotes are all over.

On 10/7/2017 at 4:49 PM, Kia said:
Spoiler

Yesss. I had to post before I forgot. that's why the time in those WEBTOONS' screenshots is 3 a.m. LOL.

Oh I will :hee:

do the same for me so I can continue being behind on the things I read

it's sooo good !! I'm going to re-read it. Let me know when you start reading it and I will as well so it'll be like we're reading together. ayyyyy

You haven't read it? I'm surprised. I felt like you would have read all of Miss Peregrine's novels. tsk tsk tsk.

It was!!! Everyone is over here being hyped about the second season of Stranger Things (I haven't even finished the first season) and I'm over here like "so when is A Series of Unfortunate Events returning???" 

I thought I had all the books, but I can't find some of them ;c I also had the file/folder/envelope thing of Beatrice's letters? if you know what I'm talking about. I got most of these Lemony Snicket books at my schools' book sales.

GASP!! whyyyy. no wonder you started this off with shame. why you no read?? ;cccc

I read The Mortal Instruments in high school and saw the movie while in university. I remember getting actually upset over one of the books because of.. something I can't say because it is a spoiler and you haven't gotten that far, lol.

I will probably start reading it again just to complete the series

and weep @ the fact the t.v. series is horrible. I didn't really like the movie so I was hoping they'd do better by the show.. ;c it seems to be getting views since there will be a third season next year

and The Infernal Devices is good! read them all. I know it is really similar to The Mortal Instruments, i.e. foreign girl leaves the country and meets up with supernatural British boys who both like her, but I don't know... I enjoyed this one more, lol.

I'll warn you in advance that I tend to read a lot of books you'd find in the teen section at Barnes and Noble. no shame :applause:

Sure thing!! :lldesire:

I have been meaning to read them, I've just been slacking :ooohyas:

I haven't seen Stranger Things. I hear it's good. I'm basically the same with ASOUE.

Oh! The Letters to Beatrice. If I remember correctly, they were really sad.

LMAO I get distracted easily. Like, I'm always reading multiple books within any given time frame.

I liked the TMI movie, it was decent if you don't think about the book lmaooooo ayyyy

I read ahead on the TMI wiki forever ago so I think I know which spoiler you're referring to.

It was super cringey. I just couldn't get past the first 29 minutes of the show.

I plan on reading them, for sure! I too enjoy a lot of the books found in the Teen/Young Adult sections. I don't see why that's something people judge on or should be ashamed.  

On 10/7/2017 at 11:53 PM, Hin said:

I've read like.. two books in my life but hey, I can get some suggestions. 
1) Usually dystopian, adult type novels, books studying/commenting on religion, compilation of poems (what's the proper word?) psychology revolving around serial killers..
2) Anything in the teen section. -Squints @Kia- Stuff like what John Green writes. Always avoid it. 
3) The Girl In 6E. (About a cam-girl whose locked herself in her apartment to calm her murderous tendencies, but goes against it to save a child.) 
4) .. Haven't read enough to have a favorite, LOL.

5) Racing Hummingbirds. More of a book comprised of short poetry, but.. And Night by Elie Wiesel. 

6) 50 Shades of Grey (I hated those books.) Haven't read any. :blush:

7) Drama, mystery, religion (Is Religion a genre..?), history.

8) I'M HERE FOR UR RECOMMENDATIONS. :byes:

Honestly as of recent I've been reading manga and webtoons.. LOL. THERE'S SO MUCH GOOD MANGA. Most of it is... 18+, but regardless. I've been meaning to read the Game Of Thrones books but 1) Expensive. Like 30$+ for one book, no? And two, I get antsy. Hard for me to read books; always fidgeting around or getting bored. ANYWAYS. I WANT NEW BOOKS. HMU BOYS AND GALS. :bgoodjob:

Well, if you haven't read it yet, I HIGHLY recommend the Red Queen series by Victoria Aveyard. It's really good and is right up your alley (dystopian). For your adult likes, I recommend either the Merry Gentry or Anita Blake novels/series by Laurell K. Hamilton. She's my favorite sci-fi author, she mixes fantasy with modern and lots of adult content. You like religious books? I recommend Houston Smith's World Religions (get the 50th edition, it's super cheap on Amazon). I had to read it for my World Religions course earlier this year and it really opened my religious perspective even though I don't subscribe to any particular faith or god. Psychology/Serial killer books are morbidly fascinating. I always find myself reading about the BTK killer. He was one sick piece of crap, I don't even remember if he had a reason for doing what he did.

I read TFIOS, as much as it broke my heart, I liked the book a whole lot. I've been meaning to read Green's other works. 

The Girl in 6E sounds super interesting! I'll have to look into it. Night by Elie Wiesel tho, it's heartbreaking and powerful.

I'll never touch 50 Shades of Grey. I don't see the whole allure, but to each their own lmaooo

21 hours ago, Alex said:
Spoiler

This is really cool. I love reading and want to go to school for literature!

1. I'm pretty much up for anything. I read tons and tons of manga, but have been getting back into literature pieces.

2. Haven't found one yet!

3. I am currently re-reading The Bell Jar and currently reading Sometimes a Great Notion

4. Sylvia Plath is my favorite author/poet

5. Mangagagaga - such as Vampire Knight, Dengeki Daisy, Akatsuki no Yona, Mars, Six Half, Ten Count, and Takane to Hana

6. I liked reading the Chemical Garden Trilogy.

7. I'm down for any genre 8) im very into the female protagonist type genre.

8. UmmmMmmMm, I recommend everyone read Guts by Chuck Palahniuk only because I'm really nasty and find that story to be graphic so NSFW ADVISED !!!!! but if you are into dark/depressing poems I recommend Sylvia Plath, but maybe that's me being biased because I did school assignments on her and really enjoy her poems.

I really wanna read more and get into more literature and collect more books. I'm slowly getting there. :cry:

pls dont judge me on the guts story lmfaaaao.

I'm glad I submitted this topic, then. I'm usually a lurker on GASR, but I've been part of the community since 2015 and I feel like I should get out of my shell a bit more.

Books are one of my fave things, so I thought it'd be fun to talk about that with others. c:

I'm happy with the response this topic has gotten so far.

Literature as a whole is fascinating! I hope you get to study it~

I'll have to look into The Bell Har and Sometimes a Great Notion as I have not heard of those.

I hear a lot about Sylvia Plath. I've seen quotes on tumblr and they always hit home for me, I should really look into reading Plath's works.

HOLY SHIZZ DENGEKI DAISY IS ONE OF MY ULT FAVE MANGA SERIES OMG I actually need to re-read them sometime. I also LOVE Vampire Knight and Mars (it was my first manga series).

I'll also have to look into the Chemical Garden Trilogy.

Female protags are my weakness!! Have you read the Millennium Trilogy (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series)? It's really good, despite its graphic content.

I'm not here to judge. I've heard of Palahnuick, though I've yet to read any of his works. I may have to look into Guts!

20 hours ago, Queen said:
Spoiler

1. Do you have a specific type of reading material you prefer
    Not really.  If the writing is good, I'm game.  

Manga, comics, anything else in that style.  It's mostly because the panel reading.  My brain can't really deal with something like that.

The Handmaid's Tale

4. Favorite author(s)?
    I really can't list any.  I've read so many books by so many authors and while there are some that stick out more than others, I just haven't found that author that makes me go "fuck."

Most of my favorite books fall into the young adult section, and I'm a little embarrassed to list them.  I'm strangely attracted to stories of teenage melancholy.  Don't judge me.

6. Favorite series?
    Divergent is the last series I can even remember reading.

7. Favorite genre(s)?
    Young adult, Sci-Fi, Post-Apocalypse, Alternate Timelines (Think of Fallout)

Right now I would recommend "The Handmaid's Tale" if you like reading books about things that aren't as outrageously impossible as you would think.

Good writing is always the main thing I look for in a book. 

Is the book The Handmaiden's Tale the work the Hulu series is based off of?

There's nothing embarrassing about liking Young Adult/Teen books. I too enjoy several literary works from that genre. I'm not here to judge. There's something very real and relatable about books centered in teen melancholy. Go Ask Alice is one unforgettable book for me. And Speak.

I need to read Allegiant and Four. Tbh, I should just re-read Divergent and Insurgent before reading Allegiant.

Guts is one of those short stories about the gruesome truths of people and their curiosity to be honest. Lmao, I discovered it in high school and it intrigued me.

Sylvia Plath - although edgy as hell on tumblr, but a lot of her works do deal with depression and those who are diagnosed with it (such as myself) can see how the darkness of the mind really warps itself and how she plays with her words really makes you feel so immersed in it and understand. ya know?

YAAAAYAAA! Dengeki Daisy is so cute and wholesome and although their age difference, I still ship them - which also ageplay I guess is an interest of mine, of the younger girl (but legal) with the older guy who treats the girl so tenderly. ahhhhhh idk im weird.

Chemical Garden trilogy.. if I'm thinking of the right one.. is a girl with different colored eyes and trying to find her brother? I think the last book made me sob like a baby, only because I HATE when books end and so when I finish a book, I fucking bawl like a baby because I hate endings. ;__;

I'm a writer and love writing short stories, so when I finish a short story, I get this melancholy and bittersweet feeling inside that I finished my own little world.

And noo, I thought about getting into that series, but I haven't been in a great reading mode lately (mostly in writing mode at the moment hehe).

Um, Sometimes a Great Notion is the same author as One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest which I was actually pleased with considering it a classic and the movie adaptation with Jack Nicholson was priceless.

i enjoy this thread gimme all the reading. 

:kaa:

12 hours ago, L0stM0nstur said:
Spoiler

1. I'm not as picky, it usually depends on my mood. I usually read online/make-up stories. I sometimes have the actual books lol. ( mostly manga, poems, and some other books, that I never touched)

2.boring  historical relation... I mostly HAVE to read those and they would bore me and make me fall asleep! I do summer reading for school sadly lol.

3. I'm not rereading anything right now because there are too many stories I've read all over. if I were to re-read, it'd be " I wrote this for you" by Iain S. Thomas ( poetry)

4. I don't have faves.. but I'd say.. Iain Sa. Thomas (all-time favorite poetic); Gayle Forman ( I've actually met and got an autograph from her); and Rupi Kaur

5. My favorite is "If I stay";" Before_____" ( I forgot the title); I Wrote this for you; Milk & Honey;  Webtoon: untouchable; My giant Nerd Boyfriend;ORange Marmalade; Cheese Trap etc... (too many I've read); I read a lot on wattpad too. I need to start reading conner Franta book that I haven't touched as well LOL.

6.  probably If I stay series and some mangas such as.. vampire knight as of now. 

7. It depends, but mostly romance, drama, comedy, school

8.  for poetry if you were in your feelings and need stress relief I'd recommend, " I wrote this for you" by Iain S. Thomas ( he has 2  or 3  of it and other ones). You can find his name online on Instagram, twitter, Tumblr. his quotes are all over.

I like history, mostly about other countries and female figures. I have books about Queen Elizabeth I, Cleopatra, and Lucrezia Borgia.

I can understand why people would find history books boring because they force-feed texts on them in school.

I love poetry, so I'll have to look into the ones you mentioned.

I've been meaning to read If I Stay! I saw the movie and it was good, if I remember correctly.  

ORANGE MARMALADE AND CHEESE IN THE TRAP ARE MY JAMS I love Webtoons so much.

Vampire Knight is one of my fave mangas! It's so cool to see that others like it/have read it.

1 minute ago, Alex said:
Spoiler

Guts is one of those short stories about the gruesome truths of people and their curiosity to be honest. Lmao, I discovered it in high school and it intrigued me.

Sylvia Plath - although edgy as hell on tumblr, but a lot of her works do deal with depression and those who are diagnosed with it (such as myself) can see how the darkness of the mind really warps itself and how she plays with her words really makes you feel so immersed in it and understand. ya know?

YAAAAYAAA! Dengeki Daisy is so cute and wholesome and although their age difference, I still ship them - which also ageplay I guess is an interest of mine, of the younger girl (but legal) with the older guy who treats the girl so tenderly. ahhhhhh idk im weird.

Chemical Garden trilogy.. if I'm thinking of the right one.. is a girl with different colored eyes and trying to find her brother? I think the last book made me sob like a baby, only because I HATE when books end and so when I finish a book, I fucking bawl like a baby because I hate endings. ;__;

I'm a writer and love writing short stories, so when I finish a short story, I get this melancholy and bittersweet feeling inside that I finished my own little world.

And noo, I thought about getting into that series, but I haven't been in a great reading mode lately (mostly in writing mode at the moment hehe).

Um, Sometimes a Great Notion is the same author as One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest which I was actually pleased with considering it a classic and the movie adaptation with Jack Nicholson was priceless.

i enjoy this thread gimme all the reading. 

:kaa:

I enjoy books that force a person to really evaluate themselves and life. I love stuff that really jars your current perspective. I like the experience of changing from what I read. I HATE ENDINGS TOO!!!! It's like saying goodbye, y'know?

I write too and I find the idea of finishing something bittersweet. I write poetry and stories, though I have yet to finish a story. I always seem to stop at some point and give up. I hate it and I'm trying to kick the habit.

I gotta get back into my writing mode. It makes me feel good, very few things do that these days. I love jumping into my characters' skins and into the story.

I need to reread One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. It's been too long. I also need to rewatch the movie sometime.

I'm glad you're enjoying the thread, I hope you'll find plenty of new material! :kaayee:

I'm glad to meet someone I can relate to on the stories and writing part. I love jumping into character's perspective and thinking like them. When I'm at work that's all I think about and I wanna act like them then I'm like wait a minute, now's not the time to be acting like a high-elf assassin ready to cut a bitch LOL.

Yeee, it's one of those books & movies you could reread and rewatch and not get tired of it, ya know? It's pretty good and I want to read more classic books but my imagination is so wild all I wanna do is write!

I do write some thoughts and short poems on a writing blog that I made. 8) Just stuff that helps me with my mood and give out visuals since I find it hard to describe feelings at times.

1. I prefer books, mainly paperback books but I like hardcover as well. I also enjoy reading manga once in a blue moon. 
  2. Nooks, newspapers, and magazines mainly. I mean, I can use a nook once in a blue moon, but only if it's cause there's a book on there that I don't own that's paperback. I enjoy the feeling of turning a page and just that new book smell - as weird as I am. Haha. 
  3. I am currently reading Dark Carousel by Christine Feehan. I'm only on chapter four and I'm seriously sucked in. She's such an amazing author.
  4. Christine Feehan, Kresley Cole, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Nora Roberts, Amanda Ashley, Heather Graham, Amanda Scott, a whole bunch of others but I feel like it would be too long. Rofl. But the first 4 are literally my all time favorites.
  5. Liberty by Kim Iverson Headlee. This book was just ... it seriously sucked me in as well and I've read it so many times already. It takes place in London when it was still called Londinium and under Roman rule. 
  6. Dark Series or as I like to call it Carpathian Series by Christine Feehan. Immortals After Dark by Kresley Cole
  7. Romance - Historical, Paranormal, Thriller and just plain ole normal romance
  8. Liberty for book if there are people who love a forbidden historical romance. The Dark Series, Sea Haven, Leopard Series, Ghost Walkers and Shadow Series by Christine Feehan, Immortals After Dark by Kresley Cole, Dark-Hunters Series by Sherrilyn Kenyon. 

7 hours ago, Hekata said:

1. I prefer books, mainly paperback books but I like hardcover as well. I also enjoy reading manga once in a blue moon. 
  2. Nooks, newspapers, and magazines mainly. I mean, I can use a nook once in a blue moon, but only if it's cause there's a book on there that I don't own that's paperback. I enjoy the feeling of turning a page and just that new book smell - as weird as I am. Haha. 
  3. I am currently reading Dark Carousel by Christine Feehan. I'm only on chapter four and I'm seriously sucked in. She's such an amazing author.
  4. Christine Feehan, Kresley Cole, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Nora Roberts, Amanda Ashley, Heather Graham, Amanda Scott, a whole bunch of others but I feel like it would be too long. Rofl. But the first 4 are literally my all time favorites.
  5. Liberty by Kim Iverson Headlee. This book was just ... it seriously sucked me in as well and I've read it so many times already. It takes place in London when it was still called Londinium and under Roman rule. 
  6. Dark Series or as I like to call it Carpathian Series by Christine Feehan. Immortals After Dark by Kresley Cole
  7. Romance - Historical, Paranormal, Thriller and just plain ole normal romance
  8. Liberty for book if there are people who love a forbidden historical romance. The Dark Series, Sea Haven, Leopard Series, Ghost Walkers and Shadow Series by Christine Feehan, Immortals After Dark by Kresley Cole, Dark-Hunters Series by Sherrilyn Kenyon. 

I feel better about reading paperbacks. 1. They're more flexible. 2. They're cheaper.

I'm with you on nooks/newspapers/magazines. Magazines are full of garbage, and the news is just...depressing and boring? I have a kindle but I never use it lmaooo

I love the smell of old and new books. It's just one of the best things in this world.

I've read a few of Feehan's novels.  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Liberty sounds interesting! I'll look into it sometime c:

On 10/8/2017 at 11:19 PM, Alex said:

I'm glad to meet someone I can relate to on the stories and writing part. I love jumping into character's perspective and thinking like them. When I'm at work that's all I think about and I wanna act like them then I'm like wait a minute, now's not the time to be acting like a high-elf assassin ready to cut a bitch LOL.

Yeee, it's one of those books & movies you could reread and rewatch and not get tired of it, ya know? It's pretty good and I want to read more classic books but my imagination is so wild all I wanna do is write!

I do write some thoughts and short poems on a writing blog that I made. 8) Just stuff that helps me with my mood and give out visuals since I find it hard to describe feelings at times.

Exactly! It's a wonderful form of escapism for me, but I also just enjoy fleshing out my characters. I use a lot of different mediums, like polyvore, pinterest, we heart it, music, and of course, writing. To be honest, it's nice not to be me, ya feel?

I have to remind myself a lot of the time that I'm not my characters. 

I created a writing blog myself a while back. I write under a pseudonym though. I like the anonymity, but also the organization of separating my writing from all my other blogging. Writing really helps me too, by jumping into another life or world, I eventually forget about all the things that were bothering me. I am not good with self-journaling, though I want to try, I just don't like reading my own feelings lmaooo

20 hours ago, eggbebe said:

I feel better about reading paperbacks. 1. They're more flexible. 2. They're cheaper.

I'm with you on nooks/newspapers/magazines. Magazines are full of garbage, and the news is just...depressing and boring? I have a kindle but I never use it lmaooo

I love the smell of old and new books. It's just one of the best things in this world.

I've read a few of Feehan's novels.  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Liberty sounds interesting! I'll look into it sometime c:

They are definitely boring in my opinion. I feel like magazines are just full of half truths and stuff so I don't bother with them to be honest. Lol. My family gave me a nook for one Christmas and I just stared at them like 'What in the world were you thinking?" Haha. But I mean, it can come in handy at the same time, I just ... paperback books are so much better. Omg. I remember the first novel I read by Christine Feehan. I was a goner from there. I have almost ALL of her books. She's literally one of my favorite authors. Liberty is definitely good. If anyone likes to read historical romances and actually know just a little bit about how the world was in that time, definitely recommend it. 

Do you have a specific type of reading material you prefer?

I prefer reading about things that are either a.) relating to anything supernatural, like powers, magic, demons, paranormal etc., b.) anything philosophical or has deeper connotations, c.) anything else I find interesting (like sometimes (a lot of the time) I read Quora for hours, just reading questions peeps ask). I also prefer hardcover books but I don't actually care lol

What is a type of reading material you just can't get into?

I don't like anything relating to slice of life. 

What are you currently reading/re-reading?

Nothing atm.

Favorite author(s)?

I don't keep tabs on the authors I frequent unless it's like the fifth book from them and I'm like o wait this person wrote that other book too.

Favorite book/other reading material(s)?

I don't have overall favourites, so I'll name like the first five  four books I can think of that I liked.

AfterWorlds by Scott Fitzgerald 

House of Night series but I dunno how I feel about them now (they've been dragging on a bit)

Sweet Evil series by Wendy Higgins

Hush, Hush series 

Favorite series?

I don't know, I don't have singular favourites.

Favorite genre(s)?

Fantasy, Paranormal, Horror, Mystery, Romance, etc.

What book, series, and/or author would you recommend?

Idk, Sweet Evil was good. So was House of Night (for the most part), Hush Hush, etc.

Archived