• Join Art Haven

Hey there, it looks like you're browsing Art Haven as a guest. If you're enjoying the content our members are creating, please consider signing up for an account to unlock full access to all of our features.  It's quick, easy, completely free, and you'll be supporting the growth of our community and its creators!

We can't wait to meet you.

:pblushing:

Let's Talk: Reading!

I can't read books that are later turned into shows. I read the Vampire Diaries and then when they made it into a show, I watched it at first but all the differences between the two bugged me way to much. Lol. I'm so picky like that. If you're gonna make a show/movie based off of a novel follow it better T _ T Lawdy. I know a lot of people love that show, but I just ... I can't stand it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely going to go through the replies here and look into some of the books.

1. I like romance/mystery combinations (especially with fantasy elements, not so much just modern day)
  2. I have a lot of trouble getting into nonfiction books
  3. I'm inbetween books but my most recent read was when I finally tried some of Miss Peregrine's since everyone talks it up so much
  4. (skipping the next 2 questions because I can never pick)
  5. (cont.)
  6. I'm not into any series at the moment but I loved Cirque du Freak and its spin-offs when I was younger. Not the movie adaption though
  7. Magick-y/High Fantasy/Romance/Mystery/Horror
  8. Darren Shan has some good books with a lot of different genre options but I would recommend reading some excerpts first because some of his work is graphic (especially his adult novels)

• Do you have a specific type of reading material you prefer?
  • No, i can read whatever but i like the feeling of having a big book on my hands to read.
  • What is a type of reading material you just can't get into?
  • There's no material but i wouldn't read the Bible.
  • What are you currently reading/re-reading?
  • Harry Potter and the deadly hallows. *reading it slowly, i don't want it to end*
  • Favorite author(s)?
  • I usually read random books that people give me, the only author that i trully follow is J.K.Rowling.
  • Favorite book/other reading material(s)?
  • Difficult question.. Can't decide so: Harry Potter and the prisioner of askaban, Harry Potter and the half blood prince & Harry Potter and the deadly hallows.
  • Favorite series?
  • Harry Potter, obviously lmao.
  • Favorite genre(s)?
  • Fantasy, romance & mystery. I also like to read science books.
  • What book, series, and/or author would you recommend?
  • uhh i dunno maybe Harry Facking Potter? & my Queen J.K.Rowling. (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Do you have a specific type of reading material you prefer?

- definitely anything fantasy related,or if it touches a topic i really like or i discuss about.

What is a type of reading material you just can't get into?

- i mean im down for almost anything but i cant get into anything thats like all about romance. like i dont mind if there is a love line in a book but im not too interested about that more than the actual plot of the story.

What are you currently reading/re-reading?

- Wicked Lovely by Mellissa Marr. idk i was just at the library and the summary was interesting so why not. i havent started it yet tho. ;-;

Favorite author(s)?

- David Leviathan is jsut graet yous knowj?

Favorite book/other reading material(s)?

- Everyday by David Leviathan 

Favorite series?

- The Young Elites (i think its called that) by Marie Lu. its super interesting and 10/10 would recommend.

Favorite genre(s)?

- fantasy

What book, series, and/or author would you recommend?

- I would recommend David Leviathan. Boy meets Boy is one of his books that is honestly pretty amazing and I would recommend so you could get a feel of his writing.

1. Honestly I'll read almost anything except Romance. 
  2. Uh .. .Romance. LMAO/ 
  3.  The Merciless Series by Danielle Vega. 
  4. Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Ted Decker, Frank Peretti.
  5. Favorite book/other reading material(s)? Battle Royale
  6. Favorite series? Circle Series by Ted Dekker
  7. Favorite genre(s)? Horror, supernatural, dystopia.
  8. What book, series, and/or author would you recommend? Everything listed above lol 

• 3 weeks later...

Comics, novels, nonfiction, shitposts, 

Hmmm, no idea yet.

Haruki Murakami's After the Quake

Favorite author(s)?

Haruki Murakami, Dewi Lestari, Lauren Oliver, Naela Ali

Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage (Haruki Murakami)

Rectoverso (Dewi Lestari)

Dark Matter (Blake Crouch)

Things and Thoughts I Drew When I Was Bored (Naela Ali)

Favorite series?

None, I think. I like all books equally.

Favorite genre(s)?

Comedy, supernatural, fantasy... I think that's all.

If you are up for some cliffhangers/mindfucks, Haruki Murakami is your man. 

• 2 weeks later...
  1. Do you have a specific type of reading material you prefer? Not really but I tend to enjoy non-popular fiction novels.
  2. What is a type of reading material you just can't get into? I can't get into popular book trends
  3.  What are you currently reading/re-reading? Readings in Chinese Philosophy for college
  4. Favorite author(s)? Robert Muchamore
  5. Favorite book/other reading material(s)? The Recruit (Cherub Series)
  6. Favorite series? Cherub Series
  7. Favorite genre(s)? Crime/Juvenile
  8. What book, series, and/or author would you recommend? Cherub Series

This thread was made 4 me omg

I loveee reading even if recently I've been terrible at it

:bfcry:

I love books, specifically hardbacks but paperbacks are life savers and don't break my back when I want to carry them out of the house!

I mainly stick to fantasy-esk genres but I've been TRYING to read more scifi and historical with me starting to read Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy and Crime and Punishment 

Romance mainly. It's not my cup of tea in any narrative context, books, tv shows or movies. No ty. Probably because they're usually written or follow the same structure or narrative tropes which throw me off the edge. ''I love u but i cnt b wiv u rn.'' ''It's not u, it's me!111!'' :lazeoverkill:

Re-reading = A Clash of Kings by G.R.R Martin. I read from the 4th to the 6th and now I'm reading from book 1. And also The Hunger Games: Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins because one day i decided to re-read and finished the first book and kinda decided it was stupid to read just one and now I'm half way through the second and haven't touched it in weeks.

First time reading = Well ok, I'm one of those people who reads like 5 books at once not because I get bored but because I either want something happy so read 1 book and then I want something exciting and read another, and then wanna re-read a book i read 1000 times and read another. rip me.

CURRENTLY the books I have book marks in are The Great Zoo of China by Matthew Reilly, The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks, Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn and Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.

Favorite author(s)?

My main babe is Robin Hobb. I haven't yet re-read any of her books because her most recent and last in the Fitz and the Fool series fukin ended my lyf. I gotta recover and then consider re-reading. 

I'm in love with Wilde Life by Pascalle Lepas and Ava's Demon by Michelle Czajkowski. Though Ava's Demon only JUST started adding more pages and Wilde Life I'm waiting for more pages before reading the new chapters. (It updates with a page per week and is gorgeous)

Favorite series?

One of the book series involving the character Fitz from Robin Hobbs series. Most people always pick the first (Farseer trilogy) as it's the first and arguably best. But I love the Fitz and the Fool trilogy.   

Favorite genre(s)?

Hi, I like dragons.

HMM I WONDER IF IT'S ROBIN HOBB? ? ??? But yes, Robin Hobb I'd defo recommend for anyone who enjoys fantasy or Medieval based literature which I guess may feel similar or a rip off of G.R.R Martin as he's currently the most popular author in that genre currently but for reference, the first book in Robin Hobbs first trilogy was published 1995 and G.R.R Martin's in 1996. Giv it a try, boi.

I also LOVED the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik (Dragons, yes, u got me). Though the later books personally weren't for me, all of them but the 3rd and last two were A+ for me. 

I have a few others I'd recommend but not because they're 'amazing books' or 'must reads' but because I enjoyed the experience of reading them.

OOPS AT MY LONG ASS REPLY THO

I actually really love to read anything honestly. I have a crap ton of books on my entertainment center, and then more in my closet. In actuality, I tend to lean towards the subreddit named /r/nosleep. I really recommend reading the stories on there. For some reason I read them before bed and scare the crap out of myself. Anything supernatural, sp00k, adventurous, lovey-dovey, self-help, hilarious...literally all of those.

As I said, I really read anything. I haven't come across anything that may have made me not want to read it. Sometimes magazines can be challenging for whatever reason. I don't really like reading...facts? I fall asleep while reading anything non-fiction LOL.

Actually, I'm reading the series called: The Song of Albion. My boyfriend said it was his favorite book and I started reading it and I'm almost on the second book. It's quite amazing.

Image result for the song of albion trilogy

Favorite author(s)?

Hands down (in order): Stephen King, Dean Koontz, and Anne Rice. Those are my OP top 3. I have like 24 Stephen King books. I need more. ;u ;

As I mentioned, I really like /r/nosleep. Honestly, I don’t have a “favorite book”, because I really love anything I’ve ever read. Been a bookworm since I was a baby practically LOL. There have been a few boring books, I can admit. But there have been only like...10 tops....out of probably literally thousands of books that I've read.

I actually really enjoyed this book:

hx2fSujyc7NHCphsYdUgP3to0iVXXJI_d5m4J_ErBI0sKgwHhvo4bH6fNW-NLO6UiYhr-prmgHknNftmK7VNHuZSKx5urFKXSK8UqDEDMnnx30pMSkOSGj31L8OEdQRt-NsHBeZP

It made me cry, laugh, and cry again tbh. I really recommend it.

Favorite series?

Oooh! I loved the uglies series. I remember it even though I read it in like middle school.

sItn3pjAavkiHRBhMvHd_g9o2yi-TBDDDAjsMGg5GQZRUUdAhVpcGiN4_GfWDZj35TlDZ6082DoHYgYQlpzGFWaL6LiI8TiGLlxHcNO5AnJxGyZ0fGZIxRah32v8uYo-m5L7tD6L

Favorite genre(s)?

Sp00ky, love, vampire-related, adventure, supernatural, otherworldly, dystopia...etc.

As I mentioned above, the “Furiously Happy” book is a beautiful read. The Uglies series and the Song of Albion are lit as well. I LOVE STEPHEN KING AND I REALLY RECOMMEND READING ONE OF HIS BOOKS. If you wanna read a REALLY fucked up book, check out “The Dark Half”. Warning: VERY ...idek how to put it. It gave me nightmares...

• 2 weeks later...

- Books, I don't mind reading Virtual stuff but after a while my eyes start to ache.

- Romance. I've never been much of a mushy person, but I'm open to recommendations, so help! o:

- Stephen Kings IT. 

Favorite author(s)?

- Stephen King, F. Scott Fitzgerald, J.K. Rowling, James Patterson to name a few.

- IT, The Great Gatsby, Harry Potter Series, Maximum Ride.

Favorite series?

- Harry Potter / Maximum Ride

Favorite genre(s)?

- Horror. Even though I don't find much of it scary, I still try to scare myself.

- Great Gatsby if you havent read it. 

Specifically Manga/webtoon/Manhua/Manhwa/Comics, Novels, Fanfiction, Fiction, Light Novels, and Web Novels which I like to read on PC or mobile

Apparently I can't read those Bieber or 1D fanfics >.<" and stays away from Horror or Gore

My online list of novels I'm reading at the moment http://www.novelupdates.com/readlist/?uname=Rumby 

Favorite author(s)?

I Eat Tomatoes, Gu Man, Ding MoNorth NightQian LuChestnut

• E-Books...?
  • Fanfiction.. I used to read but not anymore because when the writer ends up abandoning their promising story it's sort of sad
  • I do read real books that you can hold but sadly school sort of ruined reading real books for fun for me and there's not really much of a variety like online (and I can't read real books in the dark without a light so lol )
  • I would try Visual Novels, but since I'd waste too much time playing them so maybe later at one point

Favorite series?

Umm I guess the following as they have sequels so I guess they're considered a series?

Favorite genre(s)?

• Comedy, Romance, Fantasy (Xuanhuan/Xianxia), Adventure
  • Specific tags I like reading about: Transmigration, Reincarnation, Second Chance, Revenge, MMORPG, Virtual Reality, Games , Showbiz, Smut, Money, Poor to Rich, Kingdom Building, Cooking, Reverse Harem

Hmm picking out some from my reading list http://www.novelupdates.com/readlist/?uname=Rumby you can see in the spoilers >.<"

• 2 weeks later...

I just looove fantasy, science fiction and horror books! Sooo obsessed :lllaugh:

Probably historical books or these kind of books people force you to read in school back then... always skipped 80 % and just read the summary online :iduncare:

Just re-reading "An Ember In The Ashes" by Sabaa Tahir 

Favorite author(s)?

Jay Kristoff , Amie Kaufmann, Sarah J. Maas , Leigh Bardugo

Toootally Nevernight and Godsgrave my Jay Kristoff!! These books are the holy mother of fantasy itself :byaslove:

1. Favorite series?

A Song of Ice and Fire *FANGIRLSSS*

readinggif.gif

1. Do you have a specific type of reading material you prefer?  All types of literature
  2. What is a type of reading material you just can't get into? not sure
  3.  What are you currently reading/re-reading? The Judgement by Franz Kafka
  4. Favorite author(s)? William Golding, Confucius, Matsuo Basho, Ian Fleming, Murasaki Shikibu, Thomas Mann, Niccolo Machiavelli, Ian Fleming, Wu Cheng'en,  Sima Qian (too many to be honest)
  5. Favorite book/other reading material(s)?  The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann, Rashomon by Ryunosuke Akutagawa,  The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli, A Madman's Diary by Lu Xun
  6. Favorite series? I don't think I have one
  7. Favorite genre(s)? Don't have that either
  8. What book, series, and/or author would you recommend? All of the above

Paperback books, comics, fanfiction.

E-books. 

The Fallen and Leviathan by Thomas E. 
Sniegoski.

Favorite author(s)?
     Eric Jerome Dickey.
     Zane.
     Christopher Pike.
     R.L. Stine.

Thoughts by Tionne Watkins.

Favorite series?
     The Last Vampire series by Christopher Pike.
     Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead.
     The Vampire Legacy series by Karen E. Taylor.
     The Immortals series by Alyson Noel.

Favorite genre(s)?
     Art, fantasy, fiction, graphic novels, paranormal, psychology, science fiction, young adult.

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd.

• 2 weeks later...

1. I don't have any preferences. It really depends more on the context. I mean, that sounds the same, but I mean genre trumps type of reading. Makes sense?
  2. Uh, I don't like cheesy romance novels. 
  3. I am not reading anything, but I am trying to get around to reading Gone Girl and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo; along with a few mangas.
  4. Ellen Hopskin was my entire middle school life. 
  5. The Toughest Indian in the World by Sherman Alexie 
  6. No favorites yet!
  7. Hm.. I like psycho thrillers. 
  8. Who doesn't know Stephen King?

• 2 weeks later...
  1. Do you have a specific type of reading material you prefer? Smallish novels, ebooks are usually rad for reading in bed.
  2. What is a type of reading material you just can't get into? Romance
  3.  What are you currently reading/re-reading? Game Of Thrones
  4. Favorite author(s)? Terry Pratchett
  5. Favorite book/other reading material(s)? The Martian
  6. Favorite series? Discworld Series
  7. Favorite genre(s)? Fantasy, Sci-Fi or mix of both!
  8. What book, series, and/or author would you recommend?

1. Do you have a specific type of reading material you prefer? Anything really mostly novels but manga/comics are nice too
  2. What is a type of reading material you just can't get into? Real life stories like jodi piccult I have enough life problems I don't want to read about other people's
  3.  What are you currently reading/re-reading? I wanna read the alchemist by paulo coelho
  4. Favorite author(s)? Scott westerfeld
  5. Favorite book/other reading material(s)? Elswhere
  6. Favorite series? THE UGLIES SERIES i just fuks with sci fi shit like this so much 
  7. Favorite genre(s)? Romance, Sci-fi, fantasy
  8. What book, series, and/or author would you recommend? Paulo coelho as an author and the Mortal instruments series is GOOD if u like that sort of teenage story shit which i lOvE

Archived