Alismora

Art Haven Staff Q&A (v EmoTionAl, ya'll)

'Ello, fellow Haveners! 

As many of you may know, we recently sent out a survey to our members regarding our application process and the staff team. We asked our users what questions they would like to ask the staff team and about rumors which may have impacted their decision to apply. Your answers were gathered and presented to the entire staff team for them to respond! We wanted our community to know we really do listen, so everyone took the time to thoughtfully answer questions included in the spoiler below.

Spoiler

• Why did you decide to apply?
  • How did you feel when you first applied?
  • Did you apply more than once? If so, what kept you from being discouraged?
  • Are you currently serving the position you initially applied for?
  • How did you adjust to becoming a team member?
  • Do you enjoy your position? If so, why?
  • What has been the hardest part of moderating your section?
  • How have you personally benefited from joining the team?
  • What would you like to say to anyone uncertain about applying for the position you currently occupy?
  • Has being a moderator ever cut into your personal time?
  • For moderators (or please speak from your experience as a moderator), have you ever felt in disagreement with the guidelines you were enforcing? If so, how did you deal with this?
  • Have you ever felt pressured to appease anyone on the team?
  • Have you ever felt the team discussed members in a manner that was disrespectful?
  • Has being a moderator been stressful for you? If so, how have you dealt with it?
  • Have you ever felt separated from your teammates because you did not feel as good as them? If so, what did you do about this?
  • Have you experienced negativity since becoming a staff member? If so, how have you dealt with it?
  • What would you wish to say to members who have heard the staff team is mean?

A huge thank you to everyone who submitted a survey response and made this Q&A possible. We hope this has helped answer your questions, but do let us know if this is a conversation you'd like to see us continue on our tumblr or our discord! 

BONUS CONTENT: Have this meme @Taylor made to get an inside look of what being a team member is really like:

unknown.png.d5c5fc6ddd03e48bcec700f4ff41ab29.png

@Newbie @Member @yD6XjNh.png Elite Member

• Like 6

Question and Answer with Cyme

• In the very beginning, I thought I had adjusted well. However, looking back I took my role too seriously resulting in an immense amount of self-imposed stress and pressure which negatively impacted me.
    • I adore my position. Content that may be considered mature by our current guidelines is often some of my favorite content. I take great interest in provocative artwork and artwork which may not necessarily be comfortable.
    • Moderating the mature section itself is pretty easy section because of its size. However, I would say there are a few things you may not expect from the position:
      • The first thing that may not be immediately apparent is that as a mature moderator you have to prepare and run events! This is by far the most difficult thing for me, so I am very grateful when my teammates help me.
      • Secondly, the position is not limited to the mature section because mature content is uploaded throughout the forum. I think there may also be a misconception about how easy it is to make a call on an image. This isn't a position that has black and white rules. There are a lot of times you have an image that falls in a grey place and you have to work hard to be a) consistent with past violations, b) stay true to our guidelines in the face of personal bias, and c) err on the side of caution since we do allow a young audience on the site.
  • What would you like to say to anyone uncertain about applying for the position you currently occupy?
    • I'd tell you that being a mature moderator is unique from the other positions because it is in a way a combination of the other positions. You are in essence a shop moderator specially trained in explicit imagery and content with the occasional need to pull from the skill-set of an event moderator.
    • And I think I'd also tell you what I would tell anyone hoping to apply which is that it isn't always easy. If you apply because you love GASR and you truly want to help the community, then it's worth it. If you want to do this because you think it looks cool, because you want friends, or because of your ego, then you're not going to enjoy it. Just make sure you're in it for the right reasons and go for it!
    • I'D LOVE TO HAVE A PARTNER IN preventing CRIME. PLEASE APPLY.
  • For moderators (or please speak from your experience as a moderator), have you ever felt in disagreement with the guidelines you were enforcing? If so, how did you deal with this?
    • Overall, I do feel the guidelines are fair. That said I have disagreed, and I have been vocal during those times. If there was something I felt needed to be done, then I pushed for it. If I felt like we were approaching a wrong course of action, then I spoke up in the conversation. If there was a suggestion that I liked or disliked, then I said how I felt about it. We make decisions as a team, so there's been times my opinion has been the minority but I try to always use my voice. I always respect when my teammates use their voices as well. 
    • Yes and no. In the beginning, I would say yes from the stand point of professional performance. I wanted to do well and meet the expectations set for me. That said I don't feel I ever felt pressured on a personal level. I'm pretty opinionated when I feel strongly about something and I'll push back when I think it necessary. It's important to know you can disagree, and to be okay if you disagree with a friend or a teammate.
    • I would say, firstly, that I am sad to hear this. I would also to want know what experience someone had that made them feel this way. One thing that may contribute to this is that a portion of our duties involves disciplinary action, which isn't pleasant for anyone. When we write to our members in a professional capacity, I think sometimes that may get misread or may feel personal when it isn't.
    • I also would encourage you to reach out to staff members in casual settings. I can speak only for myself, but I am extremely introverted and knowing people have these preconceived notions (for example: that we are mean, that we are dumb, that we are blind, that we don't do our jobs ((by the way,  a good portion of our work is not visible to members so please don't take the absence of evidence as the evidence of absence)), etc.) has made me even more reserved. That said I would like to do more to converse with our members to show and not tell that staff can be kind and dedicated. So, please know if you ever see me in a server or in a shop that you are always welcome to say hello and I'd love to say hello too! :blush:
  • Like 9

Why did you decide to apply?

I'll be candid, GASR was stalled at the time I decided to apply.  The website was only being maintained to stay where it was, not to move it forward, to no fault of anyone on the team when I joined.  I've been apart of GASR since it was created on the old forums on IMVU, so I have a clear dedication to this community and felt it was the right thing to do to help get things back on track.

How did you feel when you first applied?

For the very first time?  I didn't apply, I was approached and I turned down the position.  This was back when GASR was still on IMVU, and I figured the forum would become useless since people were so used to getting everything on IMVU itself.  However, IMVU blindsided everyone and closed their forums, and we all flocked in droves to what we have now.  If you asked me back in 2012 if I thought some little side forum on IMVU would turn into a full-fledged website with a diverse community, I'd never believe it.

Are you currently serving the position you initially applied for?

No.  I applied and joined as an Event Coordinator and stayed there until around St. Patrick's Day 2017.  They really needed someone with the technical experience to get GASR jump started again, and I decided to fill that role after learning there weren't any interested applicants with the skill set required for a Technician.  I stayed in the Technician role for a couple of months until an Administrator position opened up and was humbly selected for it by the team, along with Luxor.  Fast forward some time later and I've been the Website Coordinator for well over a year.  

Do you enjoy your position? If so, why?

Most of the time I do.  There are times where I feel like the fruits of our labor are in vain, but then the community helps remind me that those who reject change due to fear are not the ones we built GASR for.

How have you personally benefited from joining the team?

I have gained lots of experience in managing a team and a community platform with thousands of people.  Being in an administrative position was not my goal when I joined, but that's where I am now and I've tried to make the best of it since I switched positions.  I've also grown as a person and no longer take everything to heart when people feel the need to be overly critical of things they don't really know much about.

What would you like to say to anyone uncertain about applying for the position you currently occupy?

My position isn't one you can apply for, it's an internal position, however, for those of you interested in becoming an Event Coordinator, don't be scared to join.  You don't have to be great at making artwork and graphics, we have tons of resources to help you, including other moderators.  The Event section is probably the most fun section to work for, and yet so many people are intimidated by it.

Has being a moderator ever cut into your personal time?

In the beginning it cut into my personal time a lot because I was doing the work of three different positions and struggled to balance it.  Now I make sure GASR does not take priority over things that are important in general and important to me.

For moderators (or please speak from your experience as a moderator), have you ever felt in disagreement with the guidelines you were enforcing? If so, how did you deal with this?

Too many to count, honestly.  Things change and evolve as time goes by, and our guidelines are no different.  There were rules we were expected to enforce that I either thought didn't make much sense at the current growth stage, or seemed to cross a line with user rights.  The great thing about working on a team is that you don't have to figure any of this out alone, and none of us had to be afraid to bring it to the attention of others.  Anytime something was questioned, we'd have a group discussion about how to improve it, change it completely, or get rid of it entirely.  Even if we all didn't agree, we learned to compromise to make sure things worked for the culture of our community.

Have you ever felt the team discussed members in a manner that was disrespectful?

As rule enforcers we are always discussing members, and sometimes the discussion isn't always pleasant, however, it is purely for the sake of handling whatever situation we currently have on our plate.  We do not discuss others for the sake of being unforgiving, though I know that's a popular rumor for others to spread because of issues in the past prior to my time on the team.  It's not something we condone and luckily all current members of my team continue to respect that.  Those who don't respect it are asked to leave.  We're here to do our work and have fun, not create a hostile environment that makes others uncomfortable.  

Have you experienced negativity since becoming a staff member? If so, how have you dealt with it?

Yes, and in regards to how I dealt with it, I use to take it really personally in the beginning, but now I let it roll off my shoulders.  There were those who didn't want me on the team because of bias, there are still those who create the most ridiculous rumors about me, etc.  I've lost numerous friends who felt that I should do special favors for them because we were friends, favors like making warnings disappear, helping them get on the team, giving them free stuff, etc.  That's not who I am, I won't choose a friend over my integrity and a real friend wouldn't ask me to.  Anyone who tries to butter me up in hopes they'll get something out of it is wasting their time and ultimately hurts their chances worse than not bothering at all.

What would you wish to say to members who have heard the staff team is mean?

Think for yourself and stop letting others influence your decisions, especially those with the agenda at pushing this narrative because they're upset and can't take responsibility for themselves.  A lot of you miss out on opportunities and better friendships because you let others who have issues with authority drag you down with them.  We were all regular members like you, we still technically are in every sense of the word, and a title doesn't make us any more or less of a human being.  There have been numerous members with preconceived notions of what kind of people we are based on rumors, and those with legitimate interest quickly realize that those rumors were, well, just rumors.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

• I believe I applied around 4 times before getting accepted. Applications would come around once a year, and every year I felt like my applications were lacking and I knew what to improve on. I wasn't discouraged because I was aware of the flaws I made on my previous applications. I would say now it's much easier to reapply without feeling discouraged because the coordinators let you know why you were declined, so you know exactly what to improve on next time. 

• I'm currently in my second choice position which is completely fine with me since we all work together anyway. 

• To be honest, I feel like working in a team that's structured like ours comes naturally to me. We all help each other, and I've never been left feeling like I'm doing a solo mission. It's always nice to have differing perspectives so we can reach a solution as efficiently as possible and in the most objective way possible due to all our differing personalities and perspectives. 

• I have a lot of personal time, so technically yes, but fortunately it's never been something I had to manually make time for. I visited GASR a lot anyway, so for me there was no difference from being a member and a mod in terms of how often I'd have to be on the site. 

• Nope. All the staff have very fair opinions and ideas on how they want to do things. Even if they'd differ from mine, I have no problem cooperating to find a common solution to a problem. I never felt like my opinions weren't being heard, and I always feel comfortable asking for help if I need to. 

• I think a lot of people who think we're mean just feel that way due to their personal bias. Whether it's something as simple as how we type and due to the lack of emotes, or because the member broke a rule that's stated in the guidelines and received a warning in return. Remember that warnings aren't personal. If you're hearing from other people that we're mean, I'd encourage you to be sceptical and inquire for evidence or a deeper reasoning before you choose to believe it. The staff are very friendly and open-minded, we use GASR as much as any of you do and deeply care about the well being of the site. Regardless, if you ever feel a current staff member has been disrespectful, or have any concerns about the staff members, you're open to contact the leadership team about your concerns if you have any. 
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Answers from BAAAAH. :aww:

I decided to apply because I really enjoyed being a part of GASR. I've actually been around since the IMVU days and have always wanted to contribute my time to help.  I was originally super nervous to apply, but I'm so happy that I did. Previously, I never had much time to use to be online so that always created a road block for me.  I actually applied for the Event Coordinator position, but with time crunches that started happening in my life, it was really hard to manage. After talking with Chelly, she helped me move to the Misc Moderator position and I really appreciated her help in that. I love being in this position, because I have the ability to help all of the moderators and still assist with some event things! 

Oh my goodness...where to begin? Right after I applied I was so nervous and excited at the same time. I mean, this was something I was waiting to do for a really long time. Of course I was hoping that they would like my application (mostly because I spent a lot of time on it), but the anticipation was intense LOL. Funny enough, when I applied there was an error that cleared out my last application so I had to apply again. I was smart the second time and saved it in a Google Doc, though (woo life hax). Then, after I was accepted I can admit I did a little happy dance because I was finally able to start being more involved in the GASR community. 

Yes, I applied probably a year before the second time. I think it was for the event coordinator, but I honestly cant remember. Back then I dont think I had the proper time to be a mod, and I didn't put as much effort into my app. This only made me more determined to apply the next time that the positions were open. The reason I didn't get discouraged, at least for me, is because I understood that a lot of effort and information is needed in regard to applying. It was something I really wanted to be a part of, so I showed that in my application. 

• Do you enjoy your position? If so, why?

Oh my goodness, YESS!! I really enjoy being a Misc Moderator. Not only do I have an awesome teammate, but I get to help essentially everyone. It's really adjustable for my time strains (which is why I moved to this position), and I'm able to help wherever I am able to. I also help manage the DTPAY in Off-Topic, which has honestly been my favorite thing on GASR ever since it was introduced. Being a busy bee, this was the perfect position for me and I'm super happy that I have it.  

• What would you wish to say to members who have heard the staff team is mean?

The team of staff members we have today are some of the funniest, caring, and kindest people I've met. They really care about everyone in regard to feedback from members, serious situations, and create fun events that are so time consuming but perfect. Honestly, they are so nice and welcoming and never put you down for having questions or concerns. I think the idea of the moderators being mean is really misunderstood. Being the ones who have to enforce some rules, a lot of people take it personally when we give friendly reminders or warnings. Once you get to know us and what we care about, that idea that we are mean could definitely be changed. 

:pblushing:

• Have you experienced negativity since becoming a staff member? If so, how have you dealt with it?

I haven't truly experienced much negativity in regard to my time as a moderator. At some points, I felt like I lacked certain knowledge for situations, but that was easily resolved from the help and guidance from my team. I think the hardest lesson that I have experienced from being a part of this team, is that there are some that choose to judge you or avoid you due to your position. Unfortunately, it is a real thing that happens. The only way is to continue on with those who support you, do what you love to do, and leave those who decide to be that way. If its something you care about and love to do, nothing should be in your way or bring you down. 

• Like 6
  • Wink 1
  • Upvote 1

CAIN

I had been a part of the community for a while and I felt that I could be of help. Being a part of the site's growth has been an amazing adventure.

No, I was initially an art theft moderator and later on switched to events after we felt that theft mods were no longer required. I'm currently an administrator. I had a lot of fun being a part of the events team and we built a strong bond, as we came up with loads of fun events. Some of these events were absolutely insane and others that we still discuss to this day due to the vast amounts of fun we had. I'm aware that a lot of people are daunted by the prospect of what goes into events. I still help out in events quite a lot and I can assure you it is not as much work as you think it is and you don't need to be an artist to be a good event coordinator. 

How did you adjust to becoming a team member?

I had good team mates that helped me to adjust. It was not that difficult honestly. Everyone on the team are very friendly and open individuals once you get to know them. It's a very welcoming atmosphere. I'm not the easiest person to get along with to be honest, however being part of the team has helped me in this particular manner.

I definitely do. It enables me to help in all aspects of things and being a very organized individual I feel that it's a position I perform well. 

I'm less overbearing and stoic than I initially was and am more understanding of people overall.

I only sleep 2-3 times a week, so I have ample time. 

For moderators (or please speak from your experience as a moderator), have you ever felt in disagreement with the guidelines you were enforcing? If so, how did you deal with this?
Yes I have. I simply brought it up to the team. We discussed the issue and came to a logical resolution.

Have you ever felt pressured to appease anyone on the team?

AHAHAHAHA. Me appeasing someone. AHAHHAHAA.

Have you ever felt the team discussed members in a manner that was disrespectful?
No we maintain a very respectful and professional work environment. A staff member speaking of a member disrespectfully is unacceptable.

Has being a moderator been stressful for you? If so, how have you dealt with it?
I believe every responsibility brings stress with it, so yes. I simply took time off.

Have you ever felt separated from your teammates because you did not feel as good as them? If so, what did you do about this?
No, that would be very unlike me.

Have you experienced negativity since becoming a staff member? If so, how have you dealt with it?
Yes. I get a lot of backlash for absurd, untrue, and unfathomable reasons from members at times. I ignore it, because it's ridiculous to pay any heed to nonsense.

You can always get to know us. You can't really discern the truth from rumours using only secondary sources. See for yourself. Shoot us a pm on gasr or dm us on discord. All I have to say is, why in the world would we put so much effort into a community if we don't care about them? It's very straightforward.

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

I wanted more involvement with a website that I really enjoyed using. In real terms, I'm quite nosey and always want to know more about how things are run behind the scenes, and I wanted to be a part of that first hand. 

Nervous, I guess. I'd applied a number of times before when we had a different admin team and none of my applications ever amounted to anything. So, when I applied this time; I didn't have much hope that I'd become a moderator but really applied myself to the application and the following test to try my best to get onto the team.

Did you apply more than once? If so, what kept you from being discouraged?

Yes, but my previous applications were under a different administration team. Also, my application where I was accepted as a moderator was a few years after my failed applications so I was more mature and could articulate my thoughts better, and in my opinion had better reasons for wanting to become a moderator. 

Yes

Really well, the first ten minutes in the staff chat are awkward because you're new and most of the others in the chat have been there for a while. However, everyone was incredibly welcoming and the administration team really guide you with your training and there is a lot of support in ensuring that you know what you are doing. You settle into the team really quickly because everyone works together to complete different tasks and discuss different situations, you never have to make a decision on your own. 

Yes, I enjoy being behind the scenes of GASR and having a hand in helping to moderate the website. I like being an art shop moderator in particular because I feel that this is where my strengths are.

What has been the hardest part of moderating your section?

I'd say people taking a dislike to you for reprimanding them for a rule that they broke, and somehow thinking that instead it is your fault. I wouldn't say it's particularly hard but it can be frustrating at times. 

It keeps me motivated to carry on creating art when I'm not in the mood or if I go through months of not wanting to draw/edit anything, I have to load up the website anyway and that motivates me to do my art too. Also, the friendships that I've made with others on the team are great. 

Yes, we don't all always agree on everything, but that's why we discuss it as a team and come to a general consensus. We're all human, we're not always going to agree but when we disagree it remains respectful to everyone else. If I've ever been uncomfortable with something, I've spoken up about it - whether that be privately to my assigned administrator or bringing it up to the rest of the team. It's not an environment that expects you to ask how high when being told to jump.

What would you like to say to anyone uncertain about applying for the position you currently occupy?

Go for it! It's genuinely not a difficult thing to do, it just requires a little bit of your time each week but you're given ample training and there is always someone else around to discuss something with if you're unsure. You also have an assigned administrator that you can talk to if you are finding anything difficult, which they will help to resolve for you. 

Only when I've let it. The way that my position is set up, you absolutely do not need to eat into your personal time to complete your tasks. The amount of time needed at a minimum each week is very small, and it is you that chooses how much time you put in after that. I work a full time job and still manage to easily be a moderator on the side. 

Yes. Having the other moderators to discuss actions with before you take said actions really helps with this. This way, when you experience negativity you know that you are 100% backed by the other moderators and the administration team. There's also processes in place on how to deal with negativity in a polite and professional manner. 

I would disagree, I don't think that the staff team are mean. I think you have a personal interaction with any of us, you'll see this for yourselves. I think sometimes people think that we are mean when they receive warnings for a rule that they may not necessarily agree with, but if everyone bears in mind that the rules and the moderators are not out to get you, we are just here to keep the website operating safely. We're not all sadistic and sitting here plotting who we can warn next.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

I've been lurking around on the site for quite some time, and I genuinely enjoyed the community and everything all together, so I wanted to be a more active part of it and help out.

Very nervous and slightly anxious. I was, naturally, afraid of getting rejected but at the same time feared getting accepted because I wasn't sure if I could fully tackle whatever would be thrown my way. Super excited at the same time. Just a rollercoaster of emotions, really.

I've only applied once, and I initially did not get in, but they ended up contacting me a couple of months later and asking if I'd be interested into joining. 

If I remember correctly, I applied for a Misc mod, and when I got called back, they let me pick between that and my current position.

It was scary and nerve-wrecking at first, as expected. I felt like this little nooblet that had no idea what she was doing, but my fears were completely unnecessary. The team is incredibly friendly, more than happy to help in any given moment and extremely supportive, and I absolutely love and adore them all.

Of course I do! I enjoy the fact that I can give back to the community I love so much, but at the same time help out behind the scenes while we work on making GASR even better.

I'd say people that dislike when we enforce the rules they break, so they try to go around the rules, or show signs of hospitality etc.

I gained a better understanding of what actually goes on behind the scenes and how there's so much more to managing GASR than people originally think.

Don't be afraid! If you worry that you might not have enough knowledge to moderate, don't let that stop you! While some basic knowledge of the site is needed, the training you receive is very elaborate and explained in detail! It is things that are very easy to pick up on, and master in no time. Don't be intimidated by the team either! Like I said before, everyone is more than friendly and welcoming, and ready to assist at any given time!

Absolutely not. Everyone on the team understands that we all have our own lives, work, family, other responsibilities.

Has being a moderator been stressful for you? If so, how have you dealt with it?

Sometimes, but it's never anything too overwhelming. Just some normal stress that comes with responsibilities. If I start feeling like it's getting a bit much, I simply ask one of the team members for some help.

Have you ever felt separated from your teammates because you did not feel as good as them? If so, what did you do about this?

Not really. Sure sometimes you feel slightly insecure and unsure about your capabilities, but that's only normal. 

Some, although nothing directed to me personally. I see the ugly side that the mod team has to deal with because people either don't understand what exactly we do, have random assumptions or simply be facetious because they don't like some of the rules we have.

Don't believe everything you read/hear on the internet, and definitively don't make assumptions before you see for yourself.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Nervous more than anything because it was something that I took seriously and really wanted to commit myself to. I was also eager to prove that I could contribute to GASR and show that I had something to offer.

Yes, I applied twice. My first time applying I did not make it onto the team but I figured I wasn’t what they were looking for at the time. I also knew after some thought that the position I initially applied for was not exactly what I wanted. This gave me time to work on myself and what I needed to work on skill wise in order to come back and really show that I could contribute and carry my weight as a team member.

It was pretty easy for me to adjust, I knew going into it that I would be working with a team of people and honestly never had any issues with that sort of thing beforehand. We all have our own thoughts on certain things and it’s refreshing to be in an environment where we can voice our opinions and share different viewpoints on things when it’s necessary. 

I love my position! Being able to work on Events is something that seemed intimidating until I was actually doing it, then I realized I was nervous for no reason. I’d participated in plenty of them and had always taken an interest in possibly hosting one myself. I get to be creative as an Event Coordinator, we’re always asking “Would they like this? Is this fun?” and to be able to share those experiences with people have see them having fun on something we’ve worked hard to create is so rewarding.

At first learning time management. You can be good at managing your time and getting things done but it’s a bit different working with people from different time zones in Events. After some time on the team you kind of learn everyone's schedules and know when they will or won’t be around to work on things.

Of course. I’ve gotten plenty of practice in with Photoshop and Illustrator and I’m more diligent with my time than I was before.

If you enjoy being creative and the idea of building events interests you- give it a try! At first it seems like an intimidating position but once you get into the swing of things it feels pretty natural and way less overwhelming. You shouldn’t be worried about not being prepared either, you’re taught everything you need to know in training and then after you still have your Event peeps and team when you need help or input. If you have some free time you’re okay contributing to events and can work with others, there’s nothing to be afraid of.

Honestly, yes, but I have a fairly flexible schedule outside of schooling and it was never not my choice or cut into anything important. Everybody understands that health, schooling, and family comes first and if I ever needed a break to take care of myself all I’d have to do is let them know.

No, discussing members is something that is highly frowned upon.

Yes, once or twice. In my position we have to meet certain deadlines in order to get Events out on time. For me, the only options were to keep pushing forward and stay on task. If I needed help all it took was me mentioning it to my teammates and the troops would roll in to lend a hand.

Have you ever felt separated from your teammates because you did not feel as good as them? If so, what did you do about this?
At first yes, it was no fault of their own though. It was sort of like starting out at a new school, it’s hard not to feel a little disconnected if you don’t know anyone beforehand. I quickly learned that nobody on the team expects perfection and I was being too hard on myself, you keep learning everything you can as you go. Starting out you can ask any staff member, I was not afraid to ask questions. Before I knew it, things started to come pretty naturally.

I think for some people there’s sort of a disconnect when they come in contact with staff. Everybody is aware that we have to take care of things such as warnings and making sure guidelines are followed, it’s part of the job and sometimes staff has to “play the bad guy” to keep things safe and fair for everyone on GASR. In some cases, it’s easier for individuals to assume we’re mean and have some sort of hidden agenda when in reality, that’s not the case- things like that are never personal. The staff cares for the site as well as it’s users. You can’t believe everything you hear, but if you’re questioning whether or not we’re mean, sometimes it’s as simple as talking to one of the staff members to figure out otherwise.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

okay this is going to be lengthy probably, soz in advance. alsdkfjsdf :lazetears:

• GASR was always a place where I could post artwork freely whilst also gaining friends. It's helped me break out of my own shell not only artistically, but just in general. Applying to be a staff member seemed like the best way to give back to a community that's helped me grow so, so much. I wanted to further our site and in return help it grow as well. :)

• When I first applied, I was extremely anxious. I didn't have any form of site-moderation experience prior; I was worried it would effect my overall application. I knew it was a volunteer position, but I pride myself in giving everything I do full effort, so I wanted to demonstrate the same quality on my application.

• I actually applied twice. The first application I submit I definitely rushed. I was rejected, and for good reason. It did however give me a chance to learn and take my time on the next! My second application took me approximately 3 hours to complete (mostly because I wanted to get it PERFECT.) What kept me from getting discouraged by nerves, was that you get nervous for any new experience - but you shouldn't let it hold you back from the awesome memories you could gain from just doing it. 

• Adjusting to become a team member was actually very easy. The staff members are just regular people like you. I personally am an Event Coordinator, so with my position it's important to set deadlines for things. The biggest adjustment for that was to just make myself a little more organized all-around. That actually helped me in my other everyday activities as well!

• I absolutely love working in Events. Not only do you get to show your creative energy, but you get to engage with the community in such an awesome, wholesome way. You get to meet so many people on our site that you might not elsewhere. You get to channel your own style and interests into upcoming events as well. It's the best feeling to make something and see the community get just as excited as you to have it go live. 

• The hardest part of working Events is probably making sure your deadlines are set and met. It's really important to set dates for yourself and others to make sure everything gets done!

• To anyone and everyone who wants to apply for an Event Coordinator position, to put it simply: Just do it. Events is almost like it's only little branch family inside of the team. Of course, I love everyone on the team, but we are definitely the weirdos who come up with whacky ideas. It's an experience I've had that I wouldn't trade anything for. Any position you take will have it's own pressures and stress, no matter on the Staff of GASR or a real-life job outside of our site. Don't let a fear or uncertainty prevent you from possibly making incredible friendships, memories, and creative content! I urge anyone who has considered Events to give it a try. Don't knock it, till you try it. :)

• Not really. This is a volunteer job, meaning you don't have to be at your desktop for x amount of hours daily. You have tasks that need completed before their deadlines, so you're responsible to get them done in whatever time you can. If you put everything off, it might cut into your personal time to catch up - but if you keep on top of things then you have more than enough time to play games, draw, or just go out. I play way too much LoL for it to cut into my personal time... LMAO

• Have you ever felt the team discussed members in a manner that was disrespectful?
    • As staff it's our job to see members in a very unbiased fashion. So no, I've never felt like the team discussed anyone in a disrespectful manner. 

• Have you ever felt separated from your teammates because you did not feel as good as them? If so, what did you do about this?
    • I did feel this when I first started! I wasn't as experienced as the other team members, and my graphics for events weren't very good. To deal with this, I simply just put in effort and learned as much as I could. The team is there to help you grow and to help teach you the things you may struggle with. My graphics have improved a lot since joining, and I have to thank the previous event members for teaching me small tricks for that!

• Without getting too sappy, I would say it's the complete opposite. I've been on the team for roughly a year, and I can say with confidence that everyone has been incredibly welcoming. I love everyone on the team and consider them my second family. They're always so extremely supportive in not only my position on the team itself, but also my outside activities. Having that support structure is really important to me, and I'm really thankful and glad that I applied, because I wouldn't have met all of these amazing people otherwise. 
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

• After realizing how often I spent my free time here on GASR, and how much I enjoyed being apart of this community, I decided I wanted to be apart of the team that regulated the site I loved. I looked at it like giving back and helping to ensure everyone else continued to enjoy the site as much as I did and do.
    • I filled it out like any job application, spent a couple hours figuring out suitable responses to the questions and trying to reign in my anxiety on whether I should apply or not. 
    • Technically I applied twice, because the first time I applied it didn't go through and so I spent several days tilted before re-sending my application. 
    • I wanted either Shops & Services or Auction Moderator, so yeah.
    • Everyone one is pretty friendly and willing to help, so there really isn't that much of a adjustment period. 
    • I think it's really cool to organize these auctions, see everyone bid, and see the progression from planning stage -> finished product.
    • No, members are only really discussed within valid reason (support tickets, reports, warnings, etc.). 
  • Has being a moderator been stressful for you? If so, how have you dealt with it?
    • Making deadlines and putting things into a calendar helps a bunch, I am less likely to forget when I've set a boundary to do something.
    • There is no real reason for staff to be mean or malicious in a community they care about and put so much effort into. We're just regular peeps just like you guys, it's not some sort of taboo to come talk to us and see for yourself.
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

I've always wanted to apply to the team but always felt like I wasn't exactly staff material. Sometime around 2016 I found myself with a lot of time and nothing productive to do, and staff applications just happened to be open. The rest is history.

I felt pretty neutral and solid about my application. It was my first time applying so I didn't think i would honestly make it through, but by this time I was using GASR nearly daily as an artist since 2012 so I already knew the rules without much doubt. I answered honestly, and explained why I chose my answers in order for the team to have more inside knowledge on what influenced my choices.

Nope!

No, by some weird way I was promoted to administrator ( global moderator at the time) and then subsequently promoted to coordinator via group vote minutes later. I've been coordinator for a little over 2 years now at this point (God help me LOL) While its not something I ever aimed for, I don't regret becoming a coordinator. It allows me to help and make decisions from an artists perspective. It allows me to help curate GASR into the best place it can be for its members which is ultimately what I love doing.

At first, I had no idea what I was doing. Contrary to the systems we have in place now, many previous mods were told to just read and review material and go about giving warnings and being vigilant. There wasn't much direction and I did feel as though I fell behind at first, but I somehow made my way, gradually picking up things on my own and putting more on my plate just for fun. I became really good at what I did, and at the time it really helped since there weren't enough mods on the team to complete all the tasks needed. I think that really paved the way for me to be where i am now (that and tons of luck LOL.)

Everything comes with its ups and downs. There are plenty of times when I wish I didn't have all this responsibility and just continued being an artist on GASR. But most of the time, I'm glad that I know I can help someone to the best of my ability.

I've matured a lot, and learned not to take things to heart. People will talk about the negatives more than the positives because of their own agenda. Be you, and do what you think is right. 

Its truly not as hard or time consuming as it seems. I'd say its fun more than anything because of the relationships you build while being on the team! 

What is personal time even,

Jk

Being a Coordinator, I have to be here more often than other staff groups but I still manage to fulfill my duties both online and off. I'm able to go to school, go to work, do art, and even stream on twitch all the while being a coordinator on GASR. So I'd say no, it does not cut into my personal time. 

Plenty of times. I remember the times when I was an art shop moderator, feeling silly for warning a member over something trival and wondering if I could honestly stay in my position enforcing rules I did not agree with. That is why now I'm glad I have a part in creating a space that will keep our members safe but also cater to our market and member's best interests. 

Have you ever felt pressured to appease anyone on the team?

Nope!

We make it a point to be as unbiased as possible on the team. It would be impossible to delegate the site when a side is favored for the wrong reasons :(

Being a moderator (or in my case a Coordinator) always has its stresses, but my main issue has always been communication. Since we are an online staff group, many moderators end up from being all over the world, in different time zones and with different responsibilities. We all put in our part to improve communication and generally do well, but there are times where lack of communication leads to mistakes/errors. It can easily snowball into something if everyone is not on the same page. 

I sometimes feel separated mostly because i'm generally quiet and kept to myself when I work/am busy. Usually the team, regardless  of who comes and goes, has a very family-like atmosphere. You can always count on someone to be there for you whether it be related to GASR or personal. There's always someone up for a chat, to game, to draw/collab with another, or just share memes and have a good time. I've never felt less than my colleagues.

I wouldn't say I have experienced negativity per se, apart from the occasional disgruntled member who believes its our life mission to ban them from the site (LOL.) 

Don't be sheeple. There's always two sides to a story. 9/10 times, there are things that are kept from a story to make one side look better :(

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

I love the site and at the time, I was spending a large amount of my free time viewing and appreciating all the art that the site has to offer. I decided that I wanted to be more involved and contribute in a meaningful way that ensures the longevity and growth of the site.

Yes, I have twice before but I'll admit my first application was trash. It didn't discourage me at all, I just knew that I needed to do better and take my time rather than rushing out of anxiety. I was super nervous at first. 

Yes

At first it was a bit intimidating since I didn't know everyone super well but I adjusted pretty easily. Everyone is super welcoming, friendly, and supportive. Whenever I had a question, someone would always be there with an answer. Whenever I was unsure about something, someone would always be there to support me. I was definitely more nervous than I needed to be! 

Yes, I really enjoy being able to lend a helping hand while also being behind the scene and helping make GASR the best it can be.

It's been hard being that we sometimes see the uglier side of the site and it's definitely hard when people automatically dislike you, especially if it's in regards to a rule they've broken. It's frustrating and unpleasant when negative assumptions about you and your character are made. 

It sounds super corny but this past year and a half hasn't been the easiest for me so having a productive outlet such as my mod duties, has really helped keep my mind off certain things. Working on the site and knowing that my contributions really do matter has definitely helped me from giving up on certain aspects of my life. 

Go for it, honestly. It never hurts to apply. It's definitely more intimidating than it seems! Even if you're unsure because you're not sure you'd be a good mod, don't worry! There's training and everyone is super supportive. We've all been newbies at once point and not everything can be learned in a matter of a few weeks. We learn new things all the time. 

Yes, definitely. It hasn't always been directed specifically at me but sometimes the entire team. That being said since we discuss things as a team, so it's comforting to know that you have their full support.

There are a lot of rumors out there about us but if you interact with any of us, you'd see that those rumors are completely false. I think that sometimes people think we're mean or have a negative assumption because warnings are part of the job. It's important to understand that it's not the only thing we do and even if we are giving a warning, it's for a legitimate reason. Warning people isn't fun whatsoever but we have rules for a reason. None of us are here to exert power, we're just a group of people who want to see the site be safe, successful, and long lasting. We love this site just as much as you do and only want to make it the best it possibly can be. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

• Prior to me applying I had always been a lurker, looking throughout all the forms for mainly art at the time and eventually it became a daily thing. I skim over shops, participate in events that I was able to, and read over announcements that were posted by the staff team. I was always intrigued by the staff team and was interested in how they ran the site and how involved they were. For a while I didn't think I was up for it just because I didn't think I''d be of much help to the team itself so I put it off for a while. Constantly the thought of wanting to be apart of the community in ways bigger than just a member, and coincidentally the staff team had open up staff apps and so i pushed myself to apply and here we areee 2 ish years later
    • At first I felt so overwhelmed with everything. In the beginning i felt nervous, scared but excited and happy. There was so many emotions running through my head but I also did not want to let anyone down. I honestly wanted to run and quit because of how overwhelmed i felt but after some time and ofc the help of my fellow team I got the grooove into things and also the best support system (':
    • I applied once in late 2017 I believe and then left in early/late early 2018 for personal reasons. Then rejoin the team in late 2018s till now
    • Initially, I applied to be a art shop/shop&services moderator but I'm currently now a administrator and although i loved my role as a shop&services mod I love my current position just as much.
    • Adjusting to the team is quite easy! When I first joined everyone is so welcoming and sweet. Any questions or concerns I had my questioned would be answered in no time and everyone helps each other out. Learning something new takes time to adjust and time to get skills required for certain tasks and all of the team members are so understanding and patient with one another it makes it very easy for new members/rejoining members and even older members to adjust. 
    • Absolutely I do. I've gain aspects in multiple areas, that has opened my eyes. I'm happy to know that our users feel comfortable to come to me with any questions or concerns that may have and know that I will answer to the best of my ability and to our current mods that come to me for help they need help with and know that I will have a answer for them with confidence. 
  • How have you personally benefited from joining the team?
    • I've learned to not be so sensitive and take things to heart. 
    • No. not really. I'm the one that applied and I knew what I was getting into. If my life was too hectic then I would not be apart of the staff team right now 
    • No. If a member's name is brought up and discussed it is for within reason and with respect and professionalism. While we are all human and have our own opinion we discuss matters with as much unbiased-ness? is that a word??? I dont know.. HAHA 
    • It was stressful in the beginning when I didn't know exactly what I was doing and ofc even know from time to time but what doesn't stress me out is the question hahaaa. Just know your limits and take breaks when needed 
    • What you hear is what you only hear what you see yourself is different. People will always talk bad about something but it's ultimately up to you on if you want to listen to meer rumors of what they think or see for yourself.
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1