• Join Art Haven

Hey there, it looks like you're browsing Art Haven as a guest. If you're enjoying the content our members are creating, please consider signing up for an account to unlock full access to all of our features.  It's quick, easy, completely free, and you'll be supporting the growth of our community and its creators!

We can't wait to meet you.

:pblushing:

Poll?: Canvas size for DP art?

Bothic

Question

To other artists! I was just curious: what canvas size do you like to start with when working on DP customs? And what size do you sell the work at in the end (if you resize them? Or do you offer the original size to the buyer?) I recognise that the original 220:160 ratio is the rule of thumb, but I wonder how large (in pixels) do you like to go before reducing the work to the appropriate DP size (again, if at all)?

:pthinking:

2 answers to this question

Moved to correct section! 

To answer your question though, most of our artists have started to distance themselves from the IMVU DP size and have opted to branch out into whatever canvas size that they feel the most comfortable with. For those who are starting to branch out into larger canvas sizes, sticking to the same ratio is often a good place to start since it's what you're used to. This is typically a canvas that is 320x440, or double the standard 160x220. 

However, you really don't even need to stick to that! A lot of our artists will use canvas sizes that don't stick to that ratio and instead use something completely different while providing 160x220 DP crops to their commissioners. My advice to you is to experiment as much as you want to find the canvas size you're most comfortable with!

11 hours ago, Caedis said:

Moved to correct section! 

To answer your question though, most of our artists have started to distance themselves from the IMVU DP size and have opted to branch out into whatever canvas size that they feel the most comfortable with. For those who are starting to branch out into larger canvas sizes, sticking to the same ratio is often a good place to start since it's what you're used to. This is typically a canvas that is 320x440, or double the standard 160x220. 

However, you really don't even need to stick to that! A lot of our artists will use canvas sizes that don't stick to that ratio and instead use something completely different while providing 160x220 DP crops to their commissioners. My advice to you is to experiment as much as you want to find the canvas size you're most comfortable with!

Thanks for the response! My title ("Advice:") might have been misleading, but I took the header from another thread in the off-topic section. I have a canvas size I'm comfortable with. This is more of a poll extended to other artists themselves, what their specific preferences are and why, what works for their style etc. So if you're an artist reading this, do share what you've found in your practice ^-^

It would be interesting to see what other artists take into consideration etc. 

Archived