New Security Feature: You must use your registered email address to login instead of your username! ×
Art Haven
  • Join Art Haven

Hey there, it looks like you're browsing Art Haven as a guest. If you're enjoying the content our members are creating, please consider signing up for an account to unlock full access to all of our features.  It's quick, easy, completely free, and you'll be supporting the growth of our community and its creators!

We can't wait to meet you.

:pblushing:

Important Website Update

IMPORTANT WEBSITE UPDATE

Hello Haveners! 

As you may have noticed, the website looks a little different recently. There are a few things to address as to why this is happening, what is currently not available, and what is being planned. 

What happened to the site?

Due to a conflict between our software, a recently released version update, and updates made by our server hosts, our site went offline and essentially, "broke". Any time our software developer releases and pushes a new version update, whatever current version a website is running on, is deemed incompatible and out of date. This often leads to other conflicts depending on what applications and plugins a site may be using as those developers also have to work diligently to get their own programs up to date. In order for a website to function smoothly, it's software version and all of it's extra applications or plugins need to be on the same version. It's something that is extremely annoying since they frequently do not inform anyone before hand as to when a new version is going to be released and whether it is an "optional" or "forced" release. This has lead to the most recent conflicts with the site. Unfortunately, it's something that is completely out of our control. 

In addition, our servers needed a few updates of their own to improve how the site is hosted and functions. Server updates are completely managed by our server host, who then monitors the site for any issues once the updates are complete. As we moved to these updates, conflicts arose with our other software. This also contributed to yesterday's crash. While monitoring after the update, our server host informed us that our previously used custom content would no longer be compatible with any new version of the site. We have since disabled all of these features and are working to create new scripts to prevent any potential conflicts in the future. Luckily for us, we're already working on a new theme, so it gave us the opportunity to delete the now outdated scripts. 

Today was spent in a collaborative effort between the administrative team, our technician, and our server host to resolve all leftover conflicts. However, many conflicts still exist on the website theme we've used for the past couple of years. We are no longer able to use it and it's a theme that will be discontinued by its developer as they wish to move on to other projects. We don't blame them as updating the theme would require them to rebuild a lot of aspects of it, something that is extremely time consuming. 

With that said, we are working diligently to fast track the release of our new theme. There is no current ETA as to when we will release the new theme, but it is about 65-70% finished. If you would like to take a quick peek at what we're currently working on, @ Caedis  posted two previews to our Discord server. Please be aware that the previews show the light version only. The new theme will have both light and dark versions. In the meantime, we will need to revert to the very basic default theme that is only available in light mode.

What happened to the mature content system?

We were able to reach the developer of our mature content system and requested an updated version that is compatible to our software and server. However, it appears that our server host has gone with a more recent release of our script language than what was originally including in the developer's update. We have already submitted a request to further update the system. Unfortunately, until then, our mature content system will be disabled. We use our mature content system to protect underage users and those who wish to not view explicit themes and artwork. The system is not put in place to diminish or limit expression, it is simply done to be respectful to those who view the site in a public environment or device that is not used solely by them. We also have to be mindful of those who are underage or those who may be triggered by certain topics. As such, you will still be allowed to post mature content, but you must follow the temporary guidelines below:

During this time, please follow these temporary guidelines:

• Refrain from posting NSFW images/posts if at all possible for the time being.
  • If needed, post the image in a spoiler. 
    • Please make a note that the spoiler is NSFW.
    • Apply proper censoring (covering the NSFW areas w/a large solid block of color).

Future plans

Art Haven's administrative team is working hard on improving the site as previously announced. We will be releasing a more detailed update regarding Art Haven 2.0 in the future, but it has been delayed due to the recent issues with our software. We're extremely frustrated as many as you are and are doing our best to improve the experience for all Art Haven users. During the past several months, we've been conducting a lot of research and many plans have been made in the background. We have also been working on implementing replacements for favorite site features that have been abandoned or dropped by their developers in order to avoid using outdated software that continues to conflict with other software. 

We hope to have the website looking much better as soon as possible, and apologize for the wait. If you come across any additional errors or something that isn't working right, please submit a support ticket to our tech department. Thank you so much for your patience!

• Like 42

• 2 weeks later...

Eeee, came back and saw all my NSFW content uncovered!
It'd be really cool if we could have a system to fully switch NSFW content either on or off for viewing, that way we wouldn't have to click the individual image to the allow NSFW content every time! :cutehehehaaas:

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/1/2022 at 10:24 PM, Binku said:

Eeee, came back and saw all my NSFW content uncovered!
It'd be really cool if we could have a system to fully switch NSFW content either on or off for viewing, that way we wouldn't have to click the individual image to the allow NSFW content every time! :cutehehehaaas:

Sorry for the super late response, but I just wanted to mention that I have looked into it before (let's be honest it would be 10000x easier) and unfortunately, it's not something that's currently offered by our software or freelance developers that upload their files to our software company's marketplace. It would have to be something completely custom. The current mature content system was completely built for us and was fairly expensive, so if we wanted to move to a new similar system, it would cost us even more. We'd also have to find someone willing and not someone who overcharge for what the software would actually be worth. Additionally, a system like the one you suggested would be a bit more intricate than most would assume due to certain age restrictions that aren't just set by us. It's something that sounds simple, but is actually complicated because of how our software is.

Tl;dr, the whole situation is a bit ridiculous and we're not happy with it by any means. I have requested an updated version of the current mature content system, but it's hard to get ahold of the developer. We're trying to find an alternative that won't be too expensive and best suited to our needs. Many people donated to Art Haven in an effort to get the current mature content system and I don't want that to go to waste. I don't think it would be all that fair in the end and I don't think it's a good time to start a new donation pool (nor do I really want to) considering all the other things that we're working on behind the scenes at the moment (we're essentially rebuilding Art Haven and what it offers).

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Caedis said:

Sorry for the super late response, but I just wanted to mention that I have looked into it before (let's be honest it would be 10000x easier) and unfortunately, it's not something that's currently offered by our software or freelance developers that upload their files to our software company's marketplace. It would have to be something completely custom. The current mature content system was completely built for us and was fairly expensive, so if we wanted to move to a new similar system, it would cost us even more. We'd also have to find someone willing and not someone who overcharge for what the software would actually be worth. Additionally, a system like the one you suggested would be a bit more intricate than most would assume due to certain age restrictions that aren't just set by us. It's something that sounds simple, but is actually complicated because of how our software is.

Tl;dr, the whole situation is a bit ridiculous and we're not happy with it by any means. I have requested an updated version of the current mature content system, but it's hard to get ahold of the developer. We're trying to find an alternative that won't be too expensive and best suited to our needs. Many people donated to Art Haven in an effort to get the current mature content system and I don't want that to go to waste. I don't think it would be all that fair in the end and I don't think it's a good time to start a new donation pool (nor do I really want to) considering all the other things that we're working on behind the scenes at the moment (we're essentially rebuilding Art Haven and what it offers).

We love Arthaven and I'm sure no one minds being patient. 
Thank you so much for the effort and thought being put into fixing the issue. 
I have a suggestion to keep NSFW content creators posting to gallery.
How about posting headshots of their art (only if it meets community guidelines) then within the description of the post, add a content warning over a spoiler of the full, unedited image, that way NSFW content creators can still post to gallery.
Example;
This spoiler contains NSFW content, please do not open if you aren't okay with seeing it.

Spoiler

:lazeshowoff:

Thoughts on this, please?
:llampret:

• Like 3