• Join Art Haven

Hey there, it looks like you're browsing Art Haven as a guest. If you're enjoying the content our members are creating, please consider signing up for an account to unlock full access to all of our features.  It's quick, easy, completely free, and you'll be supporting the growth of our community and its creators!

We can't wait to meet you.

:pblushing:

Discussion: Mature Content System

Aiko

MATURE CONTENT DISCUSSION

Hello Haveners! 

It's been a while and I would like to apologize for the lack of updates! We were busy behind the scenes planning a few things, updating an app here and there, and training new staff members. However, as I'm sure all of you are already aware, the mature content system is currently down and has been malfunctioning. I have tried reaching out to the developer of our custom application, but they have been radio silent.

This has been extremely frustrating for us and we know how frustrating and annoying it is for our community. Unfortunately, we have no control over the application aside from applying updates and enabling the feature. All coding, design, and editing of the application can only be done by its developer.  For this reason and since it is not the first time we have been unable to reach the developer, I believe that it is time to look at other options. Many people donated to make our mature content system come to life and I would like to sincerely apologize to our community for its unreliability. We will not be looking into buying another custom application at this time and should we ever receive an update from the developer, we will certainly look into re-enabling the mature content system. 

The last thing we want to do is outright ban all mature content until we are able to reach the developer - we believe that all art forms should be allowed and that just because something is NSFW, it doesn't mean that it has no purpose or beauty to it. Our mature content guidelines are not in place to hinder you, they are in place because we must abide by the rules and regulations that our software, search engines, and other internet authorities have enacted - just like any other public website. In order to allow mature content to be uploaded to the site, we must have some sort of filtering or restrictions in place for those who are underage, those viewing the site in public, and those who would like to opt-out of viewing mature content. 

For this reason, I felt it was best to ask our community what they would like as a temporary solution. We would love to know what methods you think work best and what would be easiest for you. We'd also love ideas or suggestions for things we could look into adding to our software. This could be ideas for additional filters, changing the way artists and buyers can sell and buy artwork, or for a new system (this would be our last resort should the developer never return). 

Here is a solution we could easily apply over the course of a couple of days as an example:

• Separate mature from general audience rated posts and restrict the new forum by age - for those of you who are new to the site, this used to be the way mature content was posted. We had a different section purely dedicated to mature content with topics, events, and auctions. 
    • If we were to apply this option, any topic tagged as mature will be moved to the new section for you. Additionally, we would then apply our new forum organization and include all under the same section. (Yes, we will be separating commissions and premades again).

Please keep in mind that while we appreciate feedback, we are only specifically looking for solutions regarding mature content posts. There are certain things we simply cannot do at this time as it is either unsupported by our software developers or is currently impossible at this point in time. We are also unable to set up certain forms of age verification (such as collecting ID's to verify birthdates) since this would require additional security, software, resources, and regulations. Our software developer is applying changes in rapid succession (hence all the delays) however, but we can always make a suggestion to them on new features for future software updates.

Additionally, please be respectful. We have no control over the state of the mature content system nor specific regulations certain internet authorities have enacted. 

• Like 10

FAQ

Proposed topic separation/organization: 

• Section - Marketplace
    • Digital Artwork
      • Commissions
        • Custom Artwork
        • YCH/PYOC
        • Digital Assets (includes IMVU creator/shop assets and items for servers, streaming, etc.)
        • Requests + trades
        • Auctions
      • Premade Artwork 
        • Premade Artwork (other than adoptables)
        • Digital Assets (includes IMVU creator/shop assets and items for servers, streaming, etc.)
        • Adoptables
        • Auctions
      • Possible section for other art related items such as Closed Species + Resells
    • Mature Content 
      • Has same as the above
    • Physical Goods 
      • Handcrafted Items (if users still want to buy/sell physical goods - we don't take any percentages from sales)

Will also add a poll once we've got some suggestions so the community can vote! :blove:

• Like 1

i am in favor of a separate nsfw section if all else fails :3c

the system hasn't been working properly for me that well but this happens on gallery images (main ah gallery only it seems?): i can click on the image underneath the button without being brought to the top of the page and can view the image, still... (just by clicking anywhere around the designated button seems to work)

editto: i like the current system but making a separate section is probably a reliable option i mean...

Edited by leileita
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, leileita said:

i am in favor of a separate nsfw section if all else fails :3c

the system hasn't been working properly for me that well but this happens on gallery images (main ah gallery only it seems?): i can click on the image underneath the button without being brought to the top of the page and can view the image, still... (just by clicking anywhere around the designated button seems to work)

editto: i like the current system but making a separate section is probably a reliable option i mean...

Oh, this is a new bug to me. Can you explain/provide images of what you mean? I'll look to see if it's specifically the mature system or the gallery itself. 

And I agree, we loved the mature content system up until the past year or so? Our software devs essentially started pushing updates left and right with new features that made some things obsolete - which is annoying in its own right, but at least some of them are things that should've been available in the first place. It's just unfortunate that the application's dev has been unresponsive.  

43 minutes ago, Aiko said:

Oh, this is a new bug to me. Can you explain/provide images of what you mean? I'll look to see if it's specifically the mature system or the gallery itself. 

And I agree, we loved the mature content system up until the past year or so? Our software devs essentially started pushing updates left and right with new features that made some things obsolete - which is annoying in its own right, but at least some of them are things that should've been available in the first place. It's just unfortunate that the application's dev has been unresponsive.  

for the bugs, for example, posts on the timeline are blurred and in the gallery but viewing the image does this (as i tried to show in the video...)

id hope they respond soon but even then the measures were great while they lasted ^U^

hoping its just a backlog on messages as ik the communities and mods alike have been doing a lot for the upkeep of site updates and itd be ashame to feel like the effort had waned or anything otl

(hopefully the sectioning will do in the mean time)

image.thumb.png.6ed41de26d1c527ed4e2930f9caa26ae.pngimage.thumb.png.ac36f1d31a795fd83491d5cb620c7624.png

editto: the top of page thing when clicking the show content button happens in topics as well on nsfw posts but i don't think i can click through..

Edited by leileita

21 minutes ago, leileita said:

for the bugs, for example, posts on the timeline are blurred and in the gallery but viewing the image does this (as i tried to show in the video...)

id hope they respond soon but even then the measures were great while they lasted ^U^

hoping its just a backlog on messages as ik the communities and mods alike have been doing a lot for the upkeep of site updates and itd be ashame to feel like the effort had waned or anything otl

(hopefully the sectioning will do in the mean time)

image.thumb.png.6ed41de26d1c527ed4e2930f9caa26ae.pngimage.thumb.png.ac36f1d31a795fd83491d5cb620c7624.png

editto: the top of page thing when clicking the show content button happens in topics as well on nsfw posts but i don't think i can click through..

Thank you so much! Hmm, it seems then to function in the gallery so long as you don't click the button. This helps narrow the issue down a bit, seems to an issue with the button's coding or link it needs to reference for the post/image to reveal it. 

• Like 1

The current mature system has been working well for me (until it hasn't), and it's still my preferred system. However as suggested prior, it truly does seem like a forum separation is the only viable solution for now. I have been using a spoiler with mature warning written before it at the moment as a remedy, but to be honest, it doesn't look as pretty, and some people could still overlook it. 

That said, if we go with the separated forum route for the time being, would anything posted there be visible on the artist's activity section on their profile? The last thing I want is to have all pixels blasted to underaged users/users who doesn't want to opt into seeing NSFW when they're visiting my profile. :klmao: I vaguely remember separated forums in the past, but I don't remember the tidbits since I don't really use it previously, if at all. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, iKAN said:

The current mature system has been working well for me (until it hasn't), and it's still my preferred system. However as suggested prior, it truly does seem like a forum separation is the only viable solution for now. I have been using a spoiler with mature warning written before it at the moment as a remedy, but to be honest, it doesn't look as pretty, and some people could still overlook it. 

That said, if we go with the separated forum route for the time being, would anything posted there be visible on the artist's activity section on their profile? The last thing I want is to have all pixels blasted to underaged users/users who doesn't want to opt into seeing NSFW when they're visiting my profile. :klmao: I vaguely remember separated forums in the past, but I don't remember the tidbits since I don't really use it previously, if at all. 

That's a great question! It shouldn't appear so long as the artist hasn't posted any mature content to their actual profile. The separate section would be locked based on age, so anything posted within it will not be visible to anyone under the age of 18/does not belong to the mature group. If users want to completely opt-out of seeing mature content but are of age, we can simply remove the mature group from their user profile. All they would need to do is ask! I can see about adding some sort of setting that you could select in order to opt out? It might need to be custom, but that would be much easier and much cheaper than what the mature content system cost us. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Aiko said:

@ leileita  I figured I'd add what our idea is for the reorganization of the forums + what mature content section would include. Would love you opinion of it! 

i do think the suggestions are good for the time being! :bfpervyflirt:

i myself never posted in the last mature forum section (from what i recall otl...) because at the time i wasn't drawing anything risque but i like the thought that counts!

Edited by leileita
  • Like 1

I like the idea of the mature content section being separate from the general audience section!
It seems a lot more organized, and I think it also allows buyers to view specific kinds of art they're looking for - some people sometimes look for mature content versus safe-for-work content. 

• Like 1

I do hope we can get the mature content system fixed but the proposed idea would be a great solution both until then and afterwards if it's not feasible! The most important thing is everyone is able to showcase their artwork safely in the meantime so having them separated is better than not being able to share any explicit art. I also don't really think the age verification system is the best as there's always some way to get around it, and I think it's better to give users the choice to be honest and responsible. Furthermore, it doesn't restrict users who may not have a form of ID for whatever reason.

• Like 1