• Join Art Haven

Hey there, it looks like you're browsing Art Haven as a guest. If you're enjoying the content our members are creating, please consider signing up for an account to unlock full access to all of our features.  It's quick, easy, completely free, and you'll be supporting the growth of our community and its creators!

We can't wait to meet you.

:pblushing:

Foxity

Hello there! My name is Sabrina :blush: Traveling the world and my home country has always been a big priority for me. I would love to hear about your adventures and see photos :lazeblush: 

What countries have you traveled to? If you live in the United States, what states?

What was your biggest experience of “culture shock” in another country/state?

What were the locals like that you met?

What was the strangest/best thing you ate?

What’s the worst thing that’s happened to you while traveling?

Have you ever traveled by yourself? What was your experience? (or would you)

Where in the world would you love to live most? Why?

How does your home country/state compare to the place you would love to live? 

What countries have you traveled to? If you live in the United States, what states?

I am from the United States and live in a small town in the state of Wisconsin(it's cold here)! Unfortunately, I have yet to experience traveling to another country.. (soon though!) Within my country I have traveled to the states New York(NYC) (by car-15 hours drive!-), California(flew! - 4hours-), Illinois, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Ohio and Indiana. 

~ When I travelled to New York City it was a big eye opener for me. Coming from a small town I am used to not seeing a lot of people on the sidewalks. You just don't see a lot of people around. New York was PACKED. People were EVERYWHERE you looked. The traffic was horrendous. Bumper to bumper, with people shouting out of their windows.  

~ When we got to walking around I did notice a few things. The native New Yorkers that I saw near the main city square all were dressed well and looked busy. Their heads were down and it seemed like they were on a mission. I've seen/heard of this trend along most of the eastern coast of the U.S. People are rushed and just don't have the time of day for you :bcri: 

~ Honestly, we brought along a lot of our own food ( cost savings). I will say that New York pizza is delicious. Thin, crispy, and big. 

~ Well I wouldn't say the worst but while in New York there are a lot of people that will try to scam the tourists. For example, on the main square there are men that ride bikes that pull carriages. My boyfriend and I decided to take one. We rode for about a couple blocks, like 5 minutes, not even that (we didn't go far). The man at the end told us it was $70! but there were no prices posted on his carriage so we were dummies and paid it :lazetears:

~ I have never traveled by myself and honestly I don't know if I ever would. I've heard a lot of horror stories. 

~ If I had to pick, I would love to live in Australia because I love aquatic life and warm weather.  

~ My viewpoint of the U.S changes weekly. We have a lot of controversy over every topic. People label you depending on what political stance you take and its really stressful to have a polite conversation here. Also my state is so cold almost half the year ( we just got 6 inches of snow and it's April). I would like to live somewhere warm, beachy with a carefree vibe ✌️

Places you would like to visit? What for?

~ There are too many places and adventures that I wish to experience before I die. Nevada would be one of my #1 choices to do a solo trip. I want to see the canyons there and explore!

13221492_1608555176128608_8924940734157950652_n.jpg.42d1824e73acaa699232c42c626e462f.jpg13265905_1608555122795280_7839612895568292700_n.jpg.f08dbb29f5b91535629bb5d56a3f92de.jpg

13240775_1608554129462046_3891882046986407708_n.jpg.fc01f25a3d209997670969f07be7a06d.jpgHe just sat there like a good boy :kcheeks:

9 hours ago, Beu said:

~ My viewpoint of the U.S changes weekly. We have a lot of controversy over every topic. People label you depending on what political stance you take and its really stressful to have a polite conversation here. Also my state is so cold almost half the year ( we just got 6 inches of snow and it's April). I would like to live somewhere warm, beachy with a carefree vibe 

Isn't that how every country works when it comes to politics and all?  people judge you based on your political stance, sometimes you had to keep quiet just so you can converse nicely with a person. but maybe that's just me haha

Anywayy

What countries have you traveled to? If you live in the United States, what states?

I'm from the SE Asia so basically I traveled to most of the SE Asian countries

the only place I traveled outside asia would be the United Kingdom

when i was in the uk, the biggest culture shock for me would be people greeting me in the morning when I jog  haha

oh and the part where you don't eat rice for every meal 

China - I can't remember how they were like because I was kid back then

Hong Kong - one of the locals there helped me go around the place and they were really eager and helpful despite the language barrier 

Vietnam & Cambodia - They're really happy whenever they see tourists? but I think i'm just being general. when I was at ben thanh market I already got surrounded by merchants tryna sell souvenirs

and BOI most of them are novelty stuff I had to get em!!!!!!!

Singapore & Malaysia - disciplined people, but the wildest at parties dem 

Indonesia - really hospitable, they are amazing.

Strangest would be the insects in cambodia, BOI THEY'RE GOOD BUT I CRINGE BECAUSE I KNOW THEY'RE INSECTS 

the best for me is the pho in vietnam 

lost my baggage when I was traveling, the good thing they're just clothes. bad thing I had nothing to wear specially

it was summer, no swimwear, no swimming for me 😞 

Have you ever traveled by yourself? What was your experience? (or would you)

I love travelling by myself, it makes me do what I want and enjoy the places more. while yes, travelling with friends and/or relatives

is fun. but the idea of being lost alone and discovering something great is the best experience ever. it's scary yea but boi do you have all 

the time for yourself

I have no specific country in mind but I do want to live in a quiet and less civilised place. because I love peace and quiet

By a lot, Traffic everywhere, Rude people, bad economy 

What countries have you traveled to? If you live in the United States, what states?

I'm from the UK (still living there), but I really love to travel.

I've been to: France, Italy, Switzerland, Netherlands, Spain, Belgium, Egypt, Cuba, Cyprus, Menorca, USA (Florida), Iceland, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, and New Zealand.

Culture shock for me was travelling to SE Asia - obviously things are a lot different over there but I absolutely loved it and already considering returning to explore a bit more.

Most countries were very welcoming which I absolutely loved. Especially in SE Asia, they were all so friendly and usually would stop and talk to you.

The strangest thing I ate was probably...scorpion? I don't really have an appetite for that kind of thing haha, and it was given on a skewer so I was a bit hesitant. I had tried stuff like bugs and things, but the taste of this, to me, was awful haha.

The best thing I ate was probably Pho in Vietnam. I just kept constantly having it and fell in love with it and would be craving it ALL the time haha.

Uhh either getting Dengue Fever (worst time of my life I swear) or having a knife pulled on me in New Zealand. I remember my parents messaging me when I had Dengue asking how everything was - and I just told them everything was going fine (still haven't told them and don't plan on it either...)

Yeah! Going to Cuba, SE Asia and New Zealand was a BALL of fun. I love travelling by myself as it means I'm not restricted to anything and I can do my own schedule. Plus its absolutely awesome for meeting new people.

I would probably love to go live in Vietnam. I fell in love with the country and didn't want to leave (my whole experience in SE Asia was pretty incredible). I love the people, the food and just the beauty of it. Maybe one day in the future.

England is dirty, and people are rude as shit a lot of the time and I'm really fed up of it. Travelling allows me to experience and see something different than my ordinary life (and so far it hasn't been hard to beat the culture back here in the UK).

I'll post some pictures later (my favourite ones anyway).

13 hours ago, princepol said:

Strangest would be the insects in cambodia, BOI THEY'RE GOOD BUT I CRINGE BECAUSE I KNOW THEY'RE INSECTS 

the best for me is the pho in vietnam 

NO WAYY :d8: I have heard of this being common but never really believed it. That's so cooool. What insects were they? Also yes I suppose the political thing would be for every country, although living here I feel as if  the American people like thrive on it and that disgusts me lol

4 hours ago, James said:

Uhh either getting Dengue Fever (worst time of my life I swear) or having a knife pulled on me in New Zealand. I remember my parents messaging me when I had Dengue asking how everything was - and I just told them everything was going fine (still haven't told them and don't plan on it either...)

Oh my what does Dengue Fever entail exactly? Also a knife is scary as shit, were they trying to rob you?? :lazewhAAT: --->What did you think of Florida?

@Beu ; They're are a variety, from crickets to larvae. spiders even 

tbh the crickets are the best for me cuz they taste like fried seafood hahahah 

as long as they're grilled or fried they taste fine would pass as a snack.

++ I was more scared of what my reaction would be because I feel like it's disrespectful for them

Re: politics; 

I see what you mean haha it's the same here and boi it gives me headache just thinking about it . but let's leave that topic for another day haha

I've been to the Caribbean, but I can't remember much about it since I was really young when my family and I went. But last year around August we went on a Mediterranian cruise to Italy, France, and Spain! 

Um, I don't exactly know... I think it would be the fact that when I was in Rome they literally had Wine vending machines? But, I think apart of it too is that they embrace more of a family-oriented type of vibe if I'm making any sense.

They were so friendly! Although, France.. I did feel a bit inferior since we were in the reeeeeaaaaallllly rich part of France aka Monte Carlo, Monaco, Nice. But Italy was probably the most enjoyable for me.

Ahhhh, I can't exactly remember, but we ate a lot of food on the cruise, which was basically regular US food.. But when we stopped in Florence, I ended up getting a Ceasar salad, and that thing was huge! It was literally as big as a popcorn bowl. 

My dad screaming the whole entire time or rather me and him getting into fights throughout that whole trip. As well as when we were coming back on one of the emergency boats from France to board the cruise ship, I ended up puking the red Gatorade I drank.

I would be nervous, but I would enjoy doing that at some point! 

I'm happy where I am right now, but if I could live in a completely different country, I'd really love to UK. (We stopped there for an hour when we were coming back home!). The people are so nice there and it seems very welcoming. 

It's basically the same? But there's probably a lot more things to do there than where I live, LOL. 

11 minutes ago, Kuma said:

Ahhhh, I can't exactly remember, but we ate a lot of food on the cruise, which was basically regular US food.. But when we stopped in Florence, I ended up getting a Ceasar salad, and that thing was huge! It was literally as big as a popcorn bowl. 

oooooooooo I LOVE Caesar salad! Also big portions haha now I know on cruises that you can do excursions/ side activities inland. Did you do any of those, or want to? :khmm:

Just now, Beu said:

oooooooooo I LOVE Caesar salad! Also big portions haha now I know on cruises that you can do excursions/ side activities inland. Did you do any of those, or want to? :khmm:

Yes and no.. We were on the Norwegian cruise line and let me be honest when I say this, it was awful. They had nothing planned and no little fun adventures or what not. We ended up losing a few members of the group we had during one of the tours, but I really only liked when we were in Italy. 

1 minute ago, Kuma said:

Yes and no.. We were on the Norwegian cruise line and let me be honest when I say this, it was awful. They had nothing planned and no little fun adventures or what not. We ended up losing a few members of the group we had during one of the tours, but I really only liked when we were in Italy. 

oh nooo that sounds a little dreadful :wacry: At least you were able to see some of the world! I thinks that's really neat :applause:

18 minutes ago, Beu said:

oh nooo that sounds a little dreadful :wacry: At least you were able to see some of the world! I thinks that's really neat :applause:

Yeah it was!! 

I've Travelled to Thailand, Japan, France, Canada and The U.S (I don't think being stuck in an airport in Shanghai for 15 hours counts xD). I'm from Australia but I've been living in smallish town in Ohio since November. 

Probably in Thailand because the way of life is so different to what I'm used to but the food was amazing. 

Well in Japan I would say they were the most poliet and kind people I ever met, and no one bothers you on the street.

Chaing Mai, Thailand was difficult walking in the street in the sense that every 5 minutes you get approached and asked to get in the tuk tuk and they will take you to buy silk, diamonds, to get tailored suits or to go to tiger kingdom. 

France I was mainly around family but they are very hospitable.

I would say there is not much difference between Canadians, Australians and Americans besides Americans being a little louder in my experience. 

I love Japanese food but I most enjoyed the food in thailand partially because it was so cheap due to currency exchange I could eat curry all day without regret. 

I was at a skii resort on Whistler Vancouver and it was a meant to be a romantic 5 days snowboarding with my now ex, but I had a terrible cold and to top it off the lifts were broken at the skii hill well the beginner hill which is the only one I'm qualified to go on.. I had already paid for gear rental in advance and lessons so I was determined to make the most of it, but since I had to walk up the hill every time carrying my board and having snot running down my face, plus falling over because I cant snow board to save my life.. I legit cried after the first day. 

Have you ever traveled by yourself? What was your experience?

I travelled to the U.S to move in with my now fiance. so far so good. xD

in the world would you love to live most? Why?

Maybe back in Australia or Canada. Well Australia because the food is so good there. Canada because I've just always liked it plus you get snow in winter. and universal healthcare in both countries. 

Pretty similiar.

1 hour ago, Verixia said:

I've Travelled to Thailand, Japan, France, Canada and The U.S (I don't think being stuck in an airport in Shanghai for 15 hours counts xD). I'm from Australia but I've been living in smallish town in Ohio since November. 

Woah you've been everyyywhere! lol no but wow I'm jealous at how much of the world you've seen already! Kudos to you for experiencing that much. How do you like Ohio??? Don't you love the weather(LOL) Here in Wisco, we just got almost 10inches today :bfcry: Took me 20 mins to de-snow my car and make it home. 

I was at a skii resort on Whistler Vancouver and it was a meant to be a romantic 5 days snowboarding with my now ex, but I had a terrible cold and to top it off the lifts were broken at the skii hill well the beginner hill which is the only one I'm qualified to go on.. I had already paid for gear rental in advance and lessons so I was determined to make the most of it, but since I had to walk up the hill every time carrying my board and having snot running down my face, plus falling over because I cant snow board to save my life.. I legit cried after the first day. 

AT LEAST YOU TRIED. SO PROUD OF YOU :cutethumbsup:

I travelled to the U.S to move in with my now fiance. so far so good. xD

Aww congrats sweetie! How did you guys meet :klovee:

10 minutes ago, Beu said:

Woah you've been everyyywhere! lol no but wow I'm jealous at how much of the world you've seen already! Kudos to you for experiencing that much. How do you like Ohio??? Don't you love the weather(LOL) Here in Wisco, we just got almost 10inches today :bfcry: Took me 20 mins to de-snow my car and make it home. 

AT LEAST YOU TRIED. SO PROUD OF YOU :cutethumbsup:

Aww congrats sweetie! How did you guys meet :klovee:

Well the weather has been very bioplar, I hear its like that in Ohio, Snow one day warm the next, we have not had too much snow this month though, but honestly it's a nice change for me because where I am from Far north QLD its HOT all year round I mean winter time is shorts and tshirt weather. You can give me some of that snow lol. 

We met on imvu xD we did the whole LDR thingy for 11 months before I came here in November and we are getting married in june :). Ofcourse certain people thought I was crazy for coming alone but it never bothered me so much. 

Definetly hope to do more travelling but trying to do the grownup thing more now like morgage first before I blow all my money travelling again xD. 

1 minute ago, Verixia said:

We met on imvu xD we did the whole LDR thingy for 11 months before I came here in November and we are getting married in june :). Ofcourse certain people thought I was crazy for coming alone but it never bothered me so much. 

AWWWWWW one of my best friends met her boyfriend on imvu and they are dating irl now. I find it amazing that you moved to be together, and you are so so brave wow! congrats sweetheart! :byaslove:

10 minutes ago, Beu said:

AWWWWWW one of my best friends met her boyfriend on imvu and they are dating irl now. I find it amazing that you moved to be together, and you are so so brave wow! congrats sweetheart! :byaslove:

Aww thanks 🙂

I used to do a lot of travelling but for the past ten years, life has become too hectic. I live in the states. I've been to Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and California.

Other places I've been to: Jamaica, St. Thomas, Bahamas (Nassau), The Cayman islands (I used to live in Grand Cayman when I was a lot younger because my dad used  to work there), Mexico 

I feel that there were other places that I visited but now I can't remember them. xD

Not everything was a culture shock but more like what I remembered best. In the Cayman Islands (around the 90s/early 2000s), you could hitchhike without a problem, leave your front door unlocked for days without a problem. Have pleasant conversations with people and nobody took offense to how different you were. Nobody bothered you and everybody seemed to know each other (especially my step-dad because he was so gosh-darned loud). Everything was so peaceful and pretty. You passed under the blooming magnolias while driving and swam with stingrays or went to the turtle farm or Rum Point Beach. I miss those days. Now it's overcrowded and people are no longer as nice (but I guess that could be said about anywhere now, really).

Jamaica: Crazy driving especially on busses and taxis. I remembered holding on to the seats for dear life when visiting one of my relatives there. It's almost the exact opposite of the Cayman Islands. It's more lively.

Caymanians: Super friendly. Helpful. Funny. Good natured. Would help you if you fell.

Mexicans: Hard working. A lot of scammers, though. Some nice locals. Would laugh if you fell and then help you up.

Jamaicans: Party-goers. Full of jokes. Blunt. Would laugh their asses off if you fell. (I include falling a lot because I'm a klutz. xD)

Los Angeles, CA: Everybody seemed laid back and minded their own business. 

Georgia: Didn't really stay there long but noticed a lot of nice and helpful people.

South Carolina: More quiet and polite where I went.

Miami, Florida: Shetty drivers. So many near misses while driving. Some people were nice but some were just flat out rude.

Strange things: Cow foot soup. Pigs feet. Chickens feet.

Best: Jerk chicken. Salt fish and dumplings/festivals. Corn beef and cabbage. Different types of fish that my dad and I caught.

Mexico: Was almost charged twice by a bus driver because I was about to get off at the wrong stop but wound up getting off at the stop anyway because I didn't think it was fair to pay twice.

South Carolina: It was a 9hr drive to where I wanted to go and I was going solo. On the way back, it was 11hrs long because of traffic annnd because I was travelling at night, I was dozing off at some point and almost skidded under an 18 wheeler.

Cayman Islands: It didn't happen on the island but when I was visiting one summer, my uncle forgot to feed my birds and they died).

At some point, I went to South Carolina alone to visit my then boyfriend. It was beautiful and quiet. Not much to do really (or at least where I was at the time) but I did like going to the beach.

I think maybe some part of Canada. I've never been there but I have some friends in different areas there and they show me pictures of where they live and it's just so beautiful and different from where I am and people seem so much nicer there.

I'm living in Florida now (but would like to move again by the end of summer). Florida and Canada seem to be exact opposites of each other as far as how people treat you and hobbies and scenery so I don't really see the comparison but then again, I've never personally been to Canada. I just have an idea based on what my friends tell me. I have met quite a handful of nice Floridians but I live in the Southern part with the worst drivers. xD

Another thing that I would like to add are the places I would like to visit.

Oregon: Because of the scenery. I'm more drawn to woodsy areas and I see that they have some beautiful waterfalls. Originally, I was thinking about moving there because of it but I want to travel some more first before deciding.

Maine: I hear the seasons there are beautiful (but long winters and I have never been out in snow before).

New Orleans: I've never been to Mardi Gras and the scenery.

Texas: Because why not? xD

Arizona: Because it looks cool.

Las Vegas: Because it seems so lively and fun.

Hawaii: Soooo pretty, the people seem laid back and it reminds me of the Cayman Islands.

As for other countries: The UK (I have relatives there so that should be fun), Italy, Germany, China, Russia and Australia. 

Oh gosh! Sorry for the novel! I'mmuh go hide in here 🕳️

NYC

I guess that it was exactly as I thought it was.

Pleasant and Nice, which is weird because you're mostly told that you'll get the opposite.

The Pizza was amazing. Oh and I tried one of those hot dogs from the stands.

I had anxiety about missing home. But other than that, it was great.

I've never traveled on my own before except when I went to Texas.
I feel I'd do it again, except I would love to experience NYC alone, despite how scary it sounds to do so.

Tahiti, because, well, idk really. Beaches?

Small lol

What countries have you traveled to? If you live in the United States, what states?

I’ve only been to Canada so far but I’m hoping to go to Japan next year! And some states I’ve been to outside of California (where I live) are Arizona, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, and Puerto Rico (I think that’s part of the United States territory)

Well nothing much there’s pretty much traffic in all the places I’ve been to I probably spent most of my time in the car LOL but in Oregon and Washington it’s so much greener and lush 

What were the locals like that you met?

The people were nice and I think the strangest things I’ve eaten were snails and a turtle :,]

What’s the worst thing that’s happened to you while traveling?

Suitcase being too heavy at the airport idek LOL

I usually travel with my family but I wouldn’t mind traveling by myself

I don’t see myself living anywhere else other than California :]

N/a

Born in Japan, moved to California, then Holland (Visited Germany for Rodeos on weekends), and now Virginia. (Military fam yo)

Traveled every state on East cost from New York to Florida + Michigan. Been through Texas and Nevada..
I've also been traveling back and forth to England for 2 years visiting my Fiance who I hope to join there with/marry later this year.:byaslove:

^Was also able to visit Scotland for half a week to see Castles this past December while visiting England

I think because of how often I moved growing up as well as how much I've traveled I've never actually experienced culture shock.

Even in my own family we are a mix of cultures being Irish, Puerto Rican, Korean (Aunt Married into fam), and then my nephew's mom's side of the family being African American. Can't get culture shock when you've grown up around all different types of cultures lol.

Everyone is generally nice... I guess? lol
Although I will say I notice in England and around the UK people seem more outgoing and polite.

Strangest and best? Baked Beans on Toast. Would've never thought of it had it not been for my beloved mans.:cutefingergun:

Being stranded in Austin, Texas for a week at 17 because we missed our plane and weren't able to afford another until the following payday.

Hotel had a pool though so that was nice?:k3:

Yes! First time traveling alone was a road trip to Pennsylvania for a 2 week long Medieval Fair called Pennsic. I was helping a friend pull cargo because he's a clothing merchant every year. This place is also where I met my hubby to be! He was helping out an armory :bgoodjob:

^Since then I've been traveling by myself to England once every 3-4 months.

Right now, England or anywhere in Europe really. I loved it when I live in Holland when I was younger and have been wanting to go back to Europe ever since we moved back to the states.

🐄Virginia has more cows and England has more sheep.🐑

1 hour ago, Brim said:

Miami, Florida: Shetty drivers. So many near misses while driving. Some people were nice but some were just flat out rude.

LOL Florida, the backwater melting pot of the states. Do you like living there? 

1 hour ago, Brim said:

(but long winters and I have never been out in snow before).

DONT DO IT ITS A TRAP. It looks pretty and is actually quite fun to play in, but after the first week you end up thinking when will this crap go away :lazetears:

1 hour ago, Brim said:

I'm more drawn to woodsy areas

Same b same. We have a natural state park close by that my dog and I know by heart. We love hiking it together! I just love the tranquility of the forest :blush:

1 hour ago, Brim said:

Cow foot soup. Pigs feet. Chickens feet.

WHY DO PEOPLE LIKE EATING ANIMALS FEET. Does it taste good?

1 hour ago, Brim said:

Oh gosh! Sorry for the novel! I'mmuh go hide in here 🕳️

No thank you for the novel! I love reading about the adventures people have been on :kcheeks:

Archived